Problems Removing Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi-great advice so far.
I dont ever remember having an issue removing my mask and breathing. I snorkeled and free dove as a kid so using a mask with snorkel was natural. I often did wierd things with the mask to 'see' what would happen. I remember just taking the mask off was a strange experience while at 20ffw during a free dive. I practised this alot to be able to see better without the mask on. This was in case one of my brothers had the only mask we owned and I wanted to go swimming.

While practising one day at the pool a couple years ago, a diver was having trouble removing her mask and breathing. She was very new and was very upset as she said she was able to 'do it' before. She had only been in the water once on a vacation since her certification 2yrs before.
I am not an instructor. At the pool her instructor happened to be there, he told her she needed to come and do a make up course, which probably wouldnt have hurt. He also said he didnt have the time to show her the technique. The pool was an open swim for anyone so lessons where not being taught at this time. He could have easily jumped in to try and help her. I suppose I took his income away when I said to her lets try and see if I can help.
While I like Walters' technique, I used Nwgratefuldivers' style. I feel it is closer to helping in memory muscle work. By keeping her regs on and dipping your face over and over in the water she became comfortable with the sensation. As Bob says it is a reflex we need to overcome. Much the same as the urge to breathe while doing a cesa. The Co2 buildup produces the urge to breathe. Sorry for topic change.
I worked with her for approx. 20mins. She was very comfortable again. I even got her to sit on bottom while I knocked her mask off violently to feign a kicked mask. She did not like that I'll tell ya but she stayed down, she couldn't find her mask but came to the top slowly. After that last task I told her I wanted to practice with my video camera while she did this. I wish I had kept the video because it was very intriguing watching the vid.
This year I saw her taking her Rescue course at Twin Lakes near Edmonton, with a different instructor and dive shop.
As TRW states about practise, this is totally the issue for me, I can get lazy with that. Good diving to you. kev

Great advice so far for sure! I have another class tonight and this is the hardest thing for me. I have a fear of water up my nose, in my mouth, etc. and even opening my eyes under water hurts for me. Plus, I have a lot of long, thick hair and keeping that out of the way while trying to learn how to take off my mask under water, put it back on, and clear it, feels impossible. I leave for Hawaii in six days for my first dive vacation and just have to get past this 1 thing. Grrrrrr.....

Great advice so far for sure! I have another class tonight and this is the hardest thing for me. I have a fear of water up my nose, in my mouth, etc. and even opening my eyes under water hurts for me. Plus, I have a lot of long, thick hair and keeping that out of the way while trying to learn how to take off my mask under water, put it back on, and clear it, feels impossible. I leave for Hawaii in six days for my first dive vacation and just have to get past this 1 thing. Grrrrrr.....

One way to deal with the problem of hair ... remove the mask, use one hand to push your hair back and the other to put your mask back on your face ... then before you replace the strap (holding the mask in place with your hand), clear the mask ... THEN deal with the mask strap. I find that works well with some students who are struggling with the hair issue. You'll probably have to clear it again once it's all together ... but more practice at clearing is a good thing, to my concern ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the good tips everyone, my Sunday dive plan was to work on this. I realized a few weeks ago I hadn't practiced clearing my mask in quite awhile so thought no problem I'll just practice at my safety stop, well that just about ended badly with some major panic and breathing issues. Cleared it in the end but sure reinforced the need for another round of practicing, in cold water. I think I'll be trying out some of this tips, should make it easier.

Ben

Hey jostubs- I'm one of those people that annoy you because mask on, mask off any time any place is just fine by me. salt or fresh water lake makes no difference.
BUT I got a new mask the other day -I wasn't sure of the fit so when the family and I went to the local swimming pool for a swim I tried it out in the pool. Well that darned chlorinated water sure did hurt my eyes.
It may be that simple--once you get into the actual sea your eyes dont hurt like they do in a chlorinated pool

I had the same problem also, very comfortable underwater, I can flood the mask to full and clear it without any issues, but when it came to remove the mask, man not sure why, but I had trouble taking in air and exhaling feel like my throat had a hole the size of dime to breath and exhale. I know its all in my head since there is lots of air and the reg is perfect condition. I got better at the end of my OW training.

I still practice it every time I got out diving, it still feel weird but I guess with practice I'll become a master, well ok, comfortable. Me it seems to be the bubbles in my face that drives me nuts, so I try to tilt my head a little not much. Anyhow still practicing and getting much better at it.

So much of this is mental . . . I don't have problems taking my mask off, but having a mask ON my face and full of water will give me an unpleasant adrenaline rush every time. As long as it isn't the mechanics of selectively breathing through the nose and mouth that is the problem, the rest is just practice -- and if you have a problem with something, you'd better practice it a lot, because at some point, the ocean is going to face you with it.

-- and if you have a problem with something, you'd better practice it a lot, because at some point, the ocean is going to face you with it.

This is worth repeating ... and emphasizing!

People have a tendency to avoid that which is unpleasant ... but think about it ... the last thing you want is have to face your discomfort at a time when you HAVE to ... :shocked2:

The things you struggle with the most are the ones that are most important for you to spend time practicing. The good news is that after a while, you'll wonder why you ever thought they were hard ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I grew up in pools, lakes, and even the cold pacific so water in my face does not bother me.

But I wear contacts. So i shut my eyes during any mask drills. I do mask drills as getting water in the mask or loosing a mask is a problem every diver may face.

Do not take this lightly as it is a real life scenario that will likely occur if you dive enough. A woman died at four corners Palau because she lost her mask, and started freaking out....sad. I am rather blind without contacts, but I can survive being mostly blind UW.

Practice being without a mask as your life may depend on it one day.

Very few people are comfortable without their mask when they first start out, but it a very important skill. Just practice, practice and follow the tips you have been given on this thread. You will get there and then will wonder what worried you so much. Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom