Prohibited fin colors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello everyone,

I recently had the opportunity to try out some Scubapro seawing nova fins and now I'm looking to pick up a pair. While checking out all of the available colors I stumbled upon some pictures of an orange variant. After a little searching I was able to find more information about them. Here is a link I found in a different thread. I've seen several pairs for sale on various websites with no mention of the Instructor or Divemaster only requirement. This may be a silly question, but could someone who is not an instructor or divemaster purchase and use these fins? I was looking for a color that would stick out and the orange seems like the perfect choice.

I think it's just to make the divemasters feel special in scubapro shops. As you've seen, there are plenty of places to get the orange novas if you're so inclined. I know a DM who has the orange novas, they are distinctive at depths where you can see the color.

We have orange no as for our instructors to use in the pool during class. I personally do not care for them. Funny thing is the orange fins have a different kick/feel to them than the other colors.

Dont much care for the seawing design as its a huge entanglement hazard based on the design; but i do wear my day-glow yellow dive rite EXPs when assisting with classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are no scuba police. Because there are no scuba laws. Why someone would actually want orange dive gear is beyond me (except for a Doxa dive watch), but no one will put you in jail for wearing the wrong color gear.

Clearly you are not aware of the new International Laws pertaining to Scuba Diving and the involvement of Interpol. In an attempt to ensure ALL divers obey the Scuba Laws, from now on all waterways will be patrolled by Interpol Scuba police. Be warned, they are very harsh on divers breaking the rules. Should you be caught wearing outlandish fins (and yes safety orange fins fit this category), you will be stripped of your wetsuit and dive insignia and be demoted to a mere snorkeler for 12 months. Harsher penalties apply for Narking below 40 metres.

4804444554_f70e7be657.jpg

Editors Note: Apologise for stealing this picture from a previous post but its just so good I couldn't help it. I am a fun addict and will probably die laughing)

And yes there is a Santa clause

Santa.jpg

Last edited:
Incorrect post

ScubaPro made a limited batch of the orange Novas, and sold them to instructional staff. There is no prohibition against selling them on to someone else -- I sold mine. Before you buy them, you should know that they don't behave at all like the standard Novas. They are MUCH stiffer, almost like kicking boards.

The Orange ones seawing Gorillas, they are stiffer by design. Looked at them at my LDS today.

ScubaPro made a limited batch of the orange Novas, and sold them to instructional staff. There is no prohibition against selling them on to someone else -- I sold mine. Before you buy them, you should know that they don't behave at all like the standard Novas. They are MUCH stiffer, almost like kicking boards.

I have the orange fins that I teach in. For diving in (sometimes very) murky quarries, they help my students to see me. I've honestly never noticed any difference in how they kick.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom