Prohibited fin colors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont much care for the seawing design as its a huge entanglement hazard based on the design; but i do wear my day-glow yellow dive rite EXPs when assisting with classes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ridiculous assertion

ScubaPro made a limited batch of the orange Novas, and sold them to instructional staff. There is no prohibition against selling them on to someone else -- I sold mine. Before you buy them, you should know that they don't behave at all like the standard Novas. They are MUCH stiffer, almost like kicking boards.

I got the orange Seawing Gorillas to try out because of the deal they were giving instructors, and put them to the test for a few dives. Yes, they are very easy to see. Good, powerful propulsion for swimming forward, but a bit awkward for back kicking and helicopter turns. The foot pocket is a little large for me, but nothing I can't live with. Overall, I found they looked cool but kicked average.

For your consideration, though: I was at the LDS the other day, and saw one of the techs tossing several broken fins into the garbage. All were Seawing Nova or Gorillas, and one set was the orange "instructor specials". He says Scubapro is happily replacing them, but I've come to the conclusion that the Seawings are "light duty" fins. I'll never take mine on a demanding dive or even on a dive trip. Who wants fins that may have a flat while bucking current or fail halfway through your dive vacation? I keep going back to my ancient and magnificently over-engineered jet style fins. I don't think I've ever seen those in the LDS garbage can--maybe some of you have.

Last edited:
If you dive in an area with Titan Triggerfish you may want to avoid orange and/or yellow fins anyway. For some reason they love them! Definitely dont get 'triggered' nearly as much now I wear black ones!

Last edited:
I got the orange Seawing Gorillas to try out because of the deal they were giving instructors, and put them to the test for a few dives. Yes, they are very easy to see. Good, powerful propulsion for swimming forward, but a bit awkward for back kicking and helicopter turns. The foot pocket is a little large for me, but nothing I can't live with. Overall, I found they looked cool but kicked average.

For your consideration, though: I was at the LDS the other day, and saw one of the techs tossing several broken fins into the garbage. All were Seawing Nova or Gorillas, and one set was the orange "instructor specials". He says Scubapro is happily replacing them, but I've come to the conclusion that the Seawings are "light duty" fins. I'll never take mine on a demanding dive or even on a dive trip. Who wants fins that may have a flat while bucking current or fail halfway through your dive vacation? I keep going back to my ancient and magnificently over-engineered jet style fins. I don't think I've ever seen those in the LDS garbage can--maybe some of you have.

Never heard of the new Novas or Gorillas failing. Seems like "the LDS" would need to send them back to Scubapro instead of just tossing them into the garbage. Please provide the name of this dive shop. I'd like to contact them and inquire further.

Hello everyone,

I recently had the opportunity to try out some Scubapro seawing nova fins and now I'm looking to pick up a pair. While checking out all of the available colors I stumbled upon some pictures of an orange variant. After a little searching I was able to find more information about them. Here is a link I found in a different thread. I've seen several pairs for sale on various websites with no mention of the Instructor or Divemaster only requirement. This may be a silly question, but could someone who is not an instructor or divemaster purchase and use these fins? I was looking for a color that would stick out and the orange seems like the perfect choice.

There are no rules about colour. I'm familiar with those particular fins, however, and the only person I would recommend them to would be Dan Volker (tongue in cheek).

R..

P.S.

Keith, if you're really set on buying a pair of those fins then I'll be happy to PM you my instructor credentials. I won't be buying them so you can use my info and just fill in your mailing address to get around the stupid rule. Let me know.

R..

Never heard of the new Novas or Gorillas failing. Seems like "the LDS" would need to send them back to Scubapro instead of just tossing them into the garbage. Please provide the name of this dive shop. I'd like to contact them and inquire further.

Only telling you what I saw. I have no idea what the policy is for busted fin return to Scubapro--I'm a patron, not a dealer, but these were definitely going into the garbage can. I suggest you call Scubapro and find out what their policy is. If you really want to call my LDS in Japan, feel free to PM me. Hope you speak Japanese. And yes, the orange ones were definitely Gorillas, so you've now heard of them failing.

Only telling you what I saw. I have no idea what the policy is for busted fin return to Scubapro--I'm a patron, not a dealer, but these were definitely going into the garbage can. I suggest you call Scubapro and find out what their policy is. If you really want to call my LDS in Japan, feel free to PM me. Hope you speak Japanese. And yes, the orange ones were definitely Gorillas, so you've now heard of them failing.

Easy there, Doc. No need for a PM, just post the name of the shop and I'll handle the rest. Is the name of the shop a secret? I speak exactly three words of Japanese, but my sister-in-law is fluent. She lived in Okinawa for 13 years teaching English.

I just always find it curious when someone gets on these forums and bashes a particular brand of fin and then immediately gushes about jet fins.

If you don't want to substantiate your claim, well...that's your right. Just don't be suprised when you get asked questions about your allegations.

Back
Top Bottom