PSAI Narcosis Management course - 73m on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I need your permission?

Of course not - I'm asking whether you planned to be there, and if so, why. "Not at all pleasant and I wouldn't want to do that again" leads me to believe you had little to no idea WTF you were getting into by being there. Because I don't know why you also tried to swim into a current under those conditions, I'll refrain from commenting on what that attempt says about the whole thing.

You've previously made posts about air being borderline much past doing ~60m in Truk with great conditions and no penetration, and other posts have confirmed that narcosis management while performing the mental tasks necessary for staged deco dives isn't your forte, so I'm surprised to hear you found yourself anywhere near 80m on air in cold, dark, turbulent waters around metal structure.

If you wound up there by accident, that's cool...but in that case I'm not sure your experience and your conclusions really mean much for someone who's worked up to, trained for, and is planning to do that kind of dive long before they set foot on the boat.

Of course not - I'm asking whether you planned to be there, and if so, why. "Not at all pleasant and I wouldn't want to do that again" leads me to believe you had little to no idea WTF you were getting into by being there. Because I don't know why you also tried to swim into a current under those conditions, I'll refrain from commenting on what that attempt says about the whole thing. . .
Then you "believe" incorrectly and are bound by your own assumptions, stereotypes & bias. I very much knew what I might encounter, but did not expect it to completely overwhelm me that fast to that degree. . .

No. You don't want to hit your "up" button in a badly narc'd condition and risk an out of control panicked ascent. (80m is roughly 262')

Sorry that is what I would do. If you are too narced and over exerted and CO2 is an issue, it is VERY hard to catch your breath when deep on air. Hitting the up button is what i would do. Becoming buoyant, completely relaxing my leg muscles, concentrating on blowing off CO2 and rising up at a reasonable rate is NOT going to "risk an out of control ascent"... assuming you have some degree of experience deep on air.

If you have an unobstructed ascent path, the best solution is to get the hell out of dodge immediately. at those depths, the air in the BC will not really expand, so once you get enough air in the BC to initiate the ascent, all you really got to do is not bang your head, chill out for 50 seconds and you will be at a much lower narcosis level and you can dump air, check your gages and resume a careful ascent.

In all honesty people should not be that deep on air. they should not be exerting themselves and if you are stupid enough to do both of those things at the same time, you should have enough sense to know that hanging onto a pole at that depth, hoping your head clears and not starting the ascent until it does.. is probably not good "deep air diving protocol"... in my book anyway.

Sorry that is what I would do. If you are too narced and over exerted and CO2 is an issue, it is VERY hard to catch your breath when deep on air. Hitting the up button is what i would do. Becoming buoyant, completely relaxing my leg muscles, concentrating on blowing off CO2 and rising up at a reasonable rate is NOT going to "risk an out of control ascent"... assuming you have some degree of experience deep on air.

If you have an unobstructed ascent path, the best solution is to get the hell out of dodge immediately. at those depths, the air in the BC will not really expand, so once you get enough air in the BC to initiate the ascent, all you really got to do is not bang your head, chill out for 50 seconds and you will be at a much lower narcosis level and you can dump air, check your gages and resume a careful ascent.

In all honesty people should not be that deep on air. they should not be exerting themselves and if you are stupid enough to do both of those things at the same time, you should have enough sense to know that hanging onto a pole at that depth, hoping your head clears and not starting the ascent until it does.. is probably not good "deep air diving protocol"... in my book anyway.
No. Not in the swirling currents of Oil Rig Eureka, and the unique challenges of this dive site as I noted above -- you do not just hit the "up" button and potentially have an uncontrolled ascent, or just as bad, drift away from the oil rig structure into open ocean at depth. My X-scooter aided in he ascent (i.e. Did not have to physically exert myself kicking & keeping station against the current) and kept me within the oil rig"s boundary/support beam & column enclosure. . .

Last edited:
No. Not in the swirling currents of Oil rig Eureka, and the unique challenges of this dive site as I noted above -- you do not just hit the "up" button and rpotentially have an uncontrolled ascent, or just as bad, drift away from the oil rig structure into open ocean at depth. My X-scooter aided in he ascent and kept me within the oil rig"s boundary/enclosure. . .

I don't have any tech diver training... I would have thought a diver would use their BC to help them come up. I didn't know it was best to use a scooter to ascend when you are too narced to control the air in your BC. Maybe i should take some of those tech diver course so I can learn how to dive deep air properly...

I don't have any tech diver training... I would have thought a diver would use their BC to help them come up. I didn't know it was best to use a scooter to ascend when you are too narced to control the air in your BC. Maybe i should take some of those tech diver course so I can learn how to dive deep air properly...
Maybe you should just come out and experience the generally challenging conditions of regular recreational advanced off-shore SoCal Scuba Diving.

And it sounds like you should refrain from such an activity.
Just as soon as you refrain from going into caves. . .

---------- Post added September 24th, 2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

And so. . . the objective lesson to be taken from this is that if you think you have the ability to confidently dive only to 73m on Deep Air, in benign clear warm water tropical no-current static conditions next to a descent/ascent upline, then the PSAI Narcosis Management Class is a worthwhile applicable course to undertake. . .

Last edited:
And so. . . the objective lesson to be taken from this is that if you think you have the ability to confidently dive only to 73m on Deep Air, in benign clear warm water tropical no-current static conditions next to a descent/ascent upline, then the PSAI Narcosis Management Class is a worthwhile applicable course to undertake. . .

Perhaps if you'd tried the course under those benign, controlled conditions you'd have known better than to plan an air dive to 80m in a :censored:storm as you did.

Or did you plan it? Never quite answered that question about whether and to what degree this was planned. How about this: why the Hell were you kicking into the current at 80m on air when you had a DPV with you? Just wanted to see how it felt?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom