PSAI Narcosis Management course - 73m on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently took this course at Capt'n Gregg's in the Philippines with my instructor & friend Mark Cox, ad thought I'd share my experiences and thoughts with you.

Firstly, I don't want this to turn into a deep ar-bashing thread. This is a deep air course, if deep air isn't for you then obviously you wouldn't do it. However if anyone has any questions or constructive criticisms I'll try to address them.

I should also say that I make this post as a student of the course - I have no affiliation with or debt to PSAI.

The course, which was conceived by Hal Watts, deep air record diver, was originally taught at 40 Fathom (73m) Grotto in Florida. It's only taught by a limited number of highly qualified/trained instructors - I understand Capt'n Gregg's is the first IDC outside of the USA.

The course is NOT about encouraging people to dive deep air, and does not 'certify' people to dive to the depths involved; rather the focus is on teaching skills to allow you to safely plan deep dives & manage the narcotic effects - whether using air, trimix or whatever.

There are 6 levels to the course (although you need explicit permission from PSAI headquarters to progress to level 6), which cover dives to 30, 40, 46, 55, 61 and 73 metres. In order to progress to the next level, you must complete the previous level whilst demonstrating proficiency and completing the skills and checks required, before being given the okay to progress to the next level. Multiple dives to each depth can be and usually are required.

My previous training includes Advanced Nitrox & Decompression Preocedures (TDI) and Rescue (PADI).

All course dives are done using a descent/ascent line, with a safety bottle (100% oxygen) suspended at 6m, accompanied by your instructor at all times, and - in the case of the level 4-6 dives (55, 61 and 73m), a second PSAI instructor (and in my case, a support diver at 12m).

Back gas was always air, in doubles, with either 1 or 2 stages of 50% and 100% respectively, depending on target depth.

The 'core' of the course is a PSAI slate on which certain information is recorded before and during the dive, such as:

- Starting tank pressure
- Target depth
- Descent pressure
- Level off depth
- First stop depth
- Depth at 4 minutes dive time
- Pressure at 6 minutes (self and buddy)
- Pressure check at every subsequent 2 minutes of bottom time
- Turn pressure (minimum)
- Object identification and compass heading
- 1 minute to ascent time signal
- Ascent pressure
- First stop pressure

etc etc - the idea being to give you a set of tasks to maintain your awareness and monitor depth, time and tank pressure

Anyway, enough about the details and on to what I thought...

It was great! Having done deco dives previously to 45-65m, I felt much more in control and aware of my situation. Certainly I was narc'd, but able to cope with the requirements of a technical dive much more easily using the skills I learned.

I'd definitely encourage anyone who is interested in deep diving to try this course(you can do as many or as few levels as you are comfortable with). I feel like a much better and safer diver as a result.

An interesting concept for a course.

How is the dive supervised? The instructor was on Trimix?

What about the PPO2 in the air you are breathing at that depth (1.75)?

Does PSAI not recognise the industry standard of ppo2 1.6?

...not criticism...just genuine observation...

An interesting concept for a course.

1. How is the dive supervised? The instructor was on Trimix?

2. What about the PPO2 in the air you are breathing at that depth (1.75)?

3. Does PSAI not recognise the industry standard of ppo2 1.6?

...not criticism...just genuine observation...

1. Instructor/s were on the same mixes as me

2. From memory, the dive plan (73m) - using decoplanner - max PPO2 for 73m was 1.745, although my actual max deph as recorded by my bottom timer was 74.1m

3. Not sure what "recognise the industry standard" means in this case, but obviously not. I beleive USN tables use 1.8 max

Having said that, the course per se actually only covers levels 1-5. To do level 6 you have to a. want to and b. seek express permission from PSAI Florida. The course material adequately covers the dangers of high PPO2 levels

Is it potentially dangerous? Yes of course. Do you take a risk by doing it? Yes. Is it for everyone? No

Last edited:
1. Instructor/s were on the same mixes as me

That surprises me..... no, that shocks me.

2. From memory, the dive plan (73m) - using decoplanner - max PPO2 for 73m was 1.715, although my actual max deph was recorded by my bottom timer was 74.1m

As a tech diver, you need decoplanner to calculate a ppo2?

ata x O2%

i.e. 8.3 x .21 = 1.743

3. Not sure what "recognise the industry standard" means in this case, but obviously not. I beleive USN tables use 1.8 max

The general concensus - DAN + RSTC is a max of 1.6

1.6 is typically only used for decompression, where workload is low.

US Navy tables limit to 1.4 for normal open circuit diving operations. Above that PPO2, they use surface supplied gas and helmets, negating the lethality of oxygen toxicity.

NORMAL AND MAXIMUM LIMITS FOR AIR DIVING
Depth fsw (meters) Limit for Equipment

100 (30) Open-circuit scuba with single scuba bottle b
130 (40) Open-circuit scuba, normal working limit b
190 (58) Open-circuit scuba, maximum working limit with Commanding Officer’s permission
190 (58) MK 21 MOD 1 (air) diving equipment with EGS, normal working limit 285 (87) MK 21 MOD 1 (air) diving equipment with EGS, maximum working limit, exceptional exposure with authorization from the Chief of Naval Operations (N873)

The NITROX Equivalent Air Depth (EAD) Decompression Selection Table (Table 10-1) was developed considering both CNS and pulmonary oxygen toxicity. Normal working dives that exceed a ppO2 of 1.4 ata are not permitted, principally to avoid the risk of CNS oxygen toxicity. Dives with a ppO2 less than 1.4 ata, however, can be conducted using the full range of bottom times allowed by the air tables without concern for CNS or pulmonary oxygen toxicity.

Dives Exceeding the Normal Working Limit. The EAD Table has been developed to restrict dives with a ppO2 greater than 1.4 ata and limits dive duration based on CNS oxygen toxicity. Dives exceeding the normal working limits of Table 10-1 require the Commanding Officer’s authorization and are restricted to surfacesupplied diving equipment only. All Equivalent Air Depths provided below the normal working limit line have the maximum allowable exposure time listed alongside. This is the maximum time a diver can safely spend at that depth and avoid CNS oxygen toxicity. Repetitive dives are not authorized when exceeding the normal working limits of Table 10-1.

1.4 ata Normal working limit. Depth exceeds the normal working limit, requires the Commanding Officer’s authoration and surface-supplied equipment. Repetitive dives are not authorized. Times listed in parentheses indicate maximum allowable exposure.

Having said that, the course per se actually only covers levels 1-5. To do level 6 you have to a. want to and b. seek express permission from PSAI Florida. The course material adequately covers the dangers of high PPO2 levels

Well, it must be nice to be educated on the dangers. Personally, I really think they should protect you from them also....

Is it potentially dangerous? Yes of course. Do you take a risk by doing it? Yes. Is it for everyone? No

The same applies to any aspect of scuba diving.

However, the risks could be negated with some consideration. Instructors could be on Trimix, for instance.

I would be interested to know PSAI's organizational policy on max PPO2 also....

Great, don't do it

Firstly, I don't want this to turn into a deep air-bashing thread. This is a deep air course, if deep air isn't for you then obviously you wouldn't do it. However if anyone has any questions or constructive criticisms I'll try to address them

The only thing I have to add is that the reason a descent/ascent line is used is to minimise the amount of work done during the dive. This extends to getting back to surface and afterwards

I'm not here to explain or defend PSAI's policies, just to share my experience and thoughts on the course I chose to take. If you have questions or concerns about taking the couse, I suggest you address them to Gary Taylor at PSAI

Please don't miscontrue me. This is not a bash.... your interesting course report just provoked some legitimate questions.

I am fully supportive of deep air diving, but not of exceeding safe PPO2.

Sorry, when people start telling me I can't calculate PPO2 I start thinking maybe maybe they're having a bash...

If you don't like going over 1.6, that's fine, just do levels 1-5. All BS aside, I really think it is a good course that teaches some great skills about dive planning and execution, and I am so much happier about doing deco dives as a result

Re: instructors using trimix on the dive, there are a number of reasons why that's not done

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronizing about thge PPO2 calculation, my apologies. Just trying to help with the formulae :)

It's not that I don't like going over 1.6 ppo2.... It is about the fact that the diving community and DAN deem it to be an unacceptable risk to do so. I am not preaching...and I have done 75m air dives myself. I wouldn't do them now though....the benefit of experience. I agree wholeheartedly with informed acceptance of personal risk and can understand your viewpoint entirely.

I would be genuinely interested to know the logic behing not putting the instructors on Trimix. Typically, there is a stong inclination in the tech instructional field to reduce narcosis when responsible for students at depth. That is why most agencies now allow normoxic trimix to be used when completing sub-40m dives on tech programmes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom