PSAI Narcosis Management course - 73m on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, again, it's not for me to say why the rules are what they are for PSAI, but here's my thoughts:

1. The instructors I dived with have completed the course themselves and are veterans of deep air diving

2. Better to have everyone breathing the same mix at the same time and all be on the same deco schedule, especially if there is a problem and gas sharing is required

3. I know my instructor prefers to dive deep air than trimix - despite being a qualified advanced trimix instructor - but the reasons behind that are for him to say not me. What I will say is he has many thousands of dives and hundreds if not more technical dives and never got bent or dead, so whatever his methodology/reasons, obviously it has worked for him so far

1. The instructors I dived with have completed the course themselves and are veterans of deep air diving

But intoxicated nonetheless. There is no such things as immunity to narcosis. Managing narcosis is one thing.... but being in a condition where you are focused, clear and able to most effectively supervise is another thing altogether.

This isn't criticism, just a remark about the physiological facts of diving at that depth and the risk assessment that would accompany it.

The trouble with exceeding general community standards is that, as an instructor, if there was an accident you would have extreme difficulty in presenting a legal case that you acted with reasonable prudence.

2. Better to have everyone breathing the same mix at the same time and all be on the same deco schedule, especially if there is a problem and gas sharing is required

Not really...as you would be up before them, so there are no issues of you being unattended in the water. Besides which, as a qualified tech diver you would have no problem conducting the ascent and deco unattended.

What is to prevent gas-sharing, just because they are Trimix? It isn't toxic :wink: And if you had to utilize it, then you would just follow the donors ascent schedule...

3. I know my instructor prefers to dive deep air than trimix - despite being a qualified advanced trimix instructor - but the reasons behind that are for him to say not me. What I will say is he has many thousands of dives and hundreds if not more technical dives and never got bent or dead, so whatever his methodology/reasons, obviously it has worked for him so far

Not dying doesn't prove a case.... :wink:

Sorry, when people start telling me I can't calculate PPO2 I start thinking maybe maybe they're having a bash...

If you don't like going over 1.6, that's fine, just do levels 1-5. All BS aside, I really think it is a good course that teaches some great skills about dive planning and execution, and I am so much happier about doing deco dives as a result

Re: instructors using trimix on the dive, there are a number of reasons why that's not done

I'd like to hear just 1 good reason why it's not done.

This is starting to sound like a bunch of drive instructors offering to teach teenagers to be more effective drivers while drunk. After all, they're going to drive drunk anyway so they might just benefit from some magic drunk driving management skills. Of course the instructor knows the magic management skills so they will be just as drunk as the student.

No maybe about it.

Alright, I've eaten all the popcorn I can handle for one evening

Once again, if you have an issue with the way the course is run, and you are interested in taking it, talk to PSAI not me

And if you're not interested in taking it, don't

Dude, nobody is criticising you. It's just a discussion.

If PSAI were/are represented on the forum then I would love to here their input.

“Anyone who in discussion relies upon authority uses not his understanding, but rather his memory”

“Anyone who in discussion relies upon authority uses not his understanding, but rather his memory”
Are you referring to his memory of all the deep air deaths or what?

Just trying to be clear here...

I think I do have an issue developing. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with precious & histrionic OPs who can't cope with discussion.

As I already have my own magic narcosis management technique I don't think I'll bother with the course.

I would also wonder how they market this course.

It seems to provide an experience that you will never encounter after the course. Why would Trimix divers need training to prepare them for extreme narcosis?

So, in truth, it is just an excuse to accomplish a 'personal record' depth without Trimix training....

Also.... if such an experience was truly needed...then a similar effect could be replicated in a chamber?

The OP states that 'special HQ permission' is required to run the course....so surely it is aimed at trimix divers who are pushing the envelop and dealing with narcosis, dispite mixed gas etc.....and yet they ran this course for someone who has completed Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures, but not yet Extended Range....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom