PSAI Narcosis Management course - 73m on air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The course is NOT about encouraging people to dive deep air, and does not 'certify' people to dive to the depths involved; rather the focus is on teaching skills to allow you to safely plan deep dives & manage the narcotic effects - whether using air, trimix or whatever.

Im confused/curious so it doesnt certify you to dive to the depths in the class nor does it encourage you to dive to those depths... you say it teaches you to manage narcosis for deep diving, but to what depth outside of class? If not diving to these depths out side of class why dive to them in the class? It seems it would be more prudent to dive to depths that you might acctually dive out of class and then "learn to manage narcosis"

By the way personally I dont think you can learn to manage narcosis, kind of like the drunk driving analogy given above

By the way personally I dont think you can learn to manage narcosis, kind of like the drunk driving analogy given above

I think that is generally regarded as a 'given'.

The 'narcosis management' described by the OP seems like just the typical task loading/awareness taskings imposed on any technical diving course....except it is done at extreme depth, beyond ppo2 1.6 and the instructor is equally as incapacitated as the student....

Good for you rox@ucf11 - I suggest you don't do the course

Of course you could always do level 1 (30m) down to whatever depth you're comfortable with that doesn't violate your personal rules, which I totally respect - but no, just slam the whole course

However if anyone has any questions or constructive criticisms I'll try to address them.

Personally I think my question would fall under this statement in your original post... I was in no way bashing you or the course I was asking a question that I was really hoping you could answer also my question was related more to level 6.

Of course you could always do level 1 (30m) down to whatever depth you're comfortable with that doesn't violate your personal rules, which I totally respect - but no, just slam the whole course

I don't believe he was..... just the excessively deep, ox-tox dangerous, aspect of it.

Okay, fine:

Im confused/curious so it doesnt certify you to dive to the depths in the class nor does it encourage you to dive to those depths

That's right

... you say it teaches you to manage narcosis for deep diving, but to what depth outside of class?

See above

If not diving to these depths out side of class why dive to them in the class?

To get experience at depth in controlled conditions

It seems it would be more prudent to dive to depths that you might actually dive out of class and then "learn to manage narcosis"

The course conditions are not designed to replicate 'real' conditions

Good for you, DON'T TAKE THE COURSE

Personally I think my question would fall under this statement in your original post... I was in no way bashing you or the course I was asking a question that I was really hoping you could answer also my question was related more to level 6.
Hard to answer questions on a course you were intoxicated for :wink:

I don't believe he was..... just the excessively deep, ox-tox dangerous, aspect of it.

/sigh

As I have stated several times now, you can do levels 1-5, which is the actual course

They don't exceed 1.6 PPO2

IF you want/choose to do level 6/73m and get approval, you can

Everyone wants to jump on this course for doing 73m on air

Forget that, what about that other 5 levels??

And if you believe that narcosis can't be 'managed' don't take a course called narcosis management FFS

To get experience at depth in controlled conditions

Experience at depth? You can do that with Trimix.....

Experience with extreme narcosis.... you would never need that experience.

Controlled conditions..... how are they controlled???

The course conditions are not designed to replicate 'real' conditions

Then what is the point of it?

Training is done to achieve a particular goal.

I am still failing to comprehend the benefit of risking your life on a dive that doesn't provide any tools or experience that you would ever use again...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom