PSD or Commercial?

Was this operation a "public safety dive?" Yes or No...

• YES ... This was a public safety dive operation.

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • NO ... This was not a public safety dive operation.

Votes: 32 86.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
I found the following article online and it is similar to one I posted earlier. This time though, there was no risk of contamination. I am curious to know what others think after reading the article. Is this a commercial dive operation or a public safety dive operation? Please respond to the POLL above after reviewing the following.

Water break drains Shreveport
Intake pump pipe bursts, cascades for hours
January 11, 2008
bilde

Workers try to repair a massive leak Thursday at Shreveport's Amiss Water Purification Plant. (Greg Pearson/The Times)

WHAT HAPPENED
A coupling on a 2-foot-diameter discharge pipe at the Amiss Water Purification Plant north of downtown Shreveport burst early Thursday apparently during a maintenance operation causing water pressure to plummet across the city, which then forced officials to issue a boil advisory.

bilde

By John Andrew Prime
jprime@gannett.com

Shreveport city department heads will meet today armed with information and timelines concerning Thursday's water plant pipe break to assess what happened and how long a boil advisory for Shreveport may last.

"I've asked my people to pull everything together and get together with me," said Mike Strong, director of operational services for the city.

A coupling on a 2-foot-thick discharge pipe at the Amiss Water Purification Plant north of downtown Shreveport burst early Thursday apparently during a maintenance operation � causing water pressure to plummet across the city.

As the normal 40 to 80 pounds of pressure in lines dropped to under 30 pounds, city officials issued the boil advisory. That's a step below the more serious boil order, which is issued by state health officials and would have kicked in, Strong said, if the pressure went under 15 pounds per square inch.

Schools, businesses, homes and hospitals were left with little or no water from just before 8 a.m. through early afternoon.

Pressure returned incrementally just after 1 p.m., after three teams of fire department divers took turns manhandling huge flooded valves to shut off backflow that geysered three stories over a pump at the water plant on the eastern shores of Cross Lake.

"We can't flush a commode, we can't take a shower, we can't wash dishes, we can't wash period," said James Lee, who lives on Old Blanchard Road just across from the water plant. "This is the first time I can remember this happening, and I've lived here 18 years."

The situation in his Lakeside Acres house was mirrored across the city. People jammed stores buying bottled water and Caddo public schools closed early. They remain closed today. Some private schools also closed.

"The health of our children is of extreme importance," a release from the Caddo Parish School Board late Thursday said. "We will be working with the city of Shreveport to perform water purification test(s) prior to reopening of schools."

The water gushing at the plant was treated water, not lake water, flowing back into a 10 million-gallon-per-day pump that had been shut off for the scheduled replacement of a backup valve, said Darin Fortenberry, plant manager.

The pump had been shut down and electricity cut off, but for reasons still under investigation a number of valves preventing millions of pounds of city water already in lines and holding tanks, and under pressure from other pumps still in operation, were not turned off.

"The discharge valve was closed, but as they were cutting the bolts off, the back pressure from the system blew the fitting loose at the coupling," Fortenberry said.

He said the geyser could have been reduced within minutes had all the pumps been turned off, but that would have left the city with zero water pressure for several hours.

"We want to keep a positive pressure in the lines at all times," Fortenberry said.

"If we ever drain the lines, we create new problems," said Strong, who directed operations at the Amiss plant Thursday.

At several valve locations across the Amiss acreage, workers with huge water keys turned off underground valves, slowly cutting off the backflow.

"If it was that easy, we'd have done it long ago," Strong said.

Workers also tried to get access to the manhole covering an underground vault with huge valves controlling the main flow of water from the pump to the treatment facilities. But the volume and current of the water made that impossible, so the call went to Shreveport Fire Department for its dive team.

Three pairs of divers took turns entering the valve area, expecting to find two of the huge controls but instead found six. With the compartment flooded, these were underwater, and the darkness and physical demands of the task were draining.

"The difficulties were the temperature of the water and the velocity of the water," said Fire Capt. Kerry Foster, a veteran diver. The valves were under about four feet of water, and water was pouring onto the heads of the divers as they worked.

"It may not sound like much, but it was," said Foster, who was part of the final pair that went in wearing "dry suits" that made the work more tolerable. "It was a piece of cake for me, but we had some younger guys working."

In addition to the cold, the task was physically challenging. The manual valves had wheels sometimes measuring several feet across, with very fine threads.

"Some of them require 100 to 200 turns to shut off," Fire Department spokesman Brian Crawford said. "Put yourself underwater as a diver having to turn the valve that many times."

Some of the valves stuck and required further exertion or the use of "cheater" bars to turn, he said.

Had the problem lasted longer, the situation could have been more serious.

"The Emergency Operations Center at the 911 Center was ramped up during the event because of the potential for it becoming worse," Crawford said. "Plan 'B' was to shut off all the pumps, which would have stopped all water pressure in the city for one or two hours."

Fire services were prepared for the worst. Several pumper trucks were kept on standby, Crawford said.

The water pressure drop, he sad, "could affect our operations fighting a structural fire."

But city firetrucks normally carry 500 gallons, and several trucks normally go to house fires, more to commercial blazes.

"They normally can handle it," he said.

Barksdale Air Force Base, which gets its water from Shreveport but can shunt to Bossier City water if necessary, was told shortly after noon that its water was not affected, a 2nd Bomb Wing representative said.

Though the coupling was repaired shortly after the water geyser stopped, there are lingering effects.

Overnight, city crews drew water samples for testing from stations throughout the city. The results will help determine how soon the boil advisory will be lifted.

Even if it is lifted today, it has had ripples through the community.

Residents in areas as scattered as North Highlands and far south Shreveport reported sudden water pressure changes between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. Thursday.

Stephanie Saunders, who lives south of LSUS, noticed lower water pressure at her home about 8 a.m.

"I really hope it gets fixed (Thursday) afternoon/early evening," Saunders said via e-mail.

Diane Mirvis also responded via e-mail, noting that she had almost no water at her Highland home between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m.

"I understand how greatly this impacts the city, but pictures of people during Katrina begging for water keep running through my mind," Mirvis wrote. "I think that helps put things into perspective."

Just from the title I would have said it was Commercial. The more I read the more it became Commercial. Then I got to the middle and realized the Firemen played Super Hero’s and forgot Risk VS Benefit EVERY PSD, or diver for that matter should adhere to.

This was nothing other than a Commercial Operation and NO PSD should be in the water. The only exception would be if the PSD WAS a Commercial Diver with the right people, equipment and ability to do the job.

I think that if I was the owner of a Commercial Diving Company I would file a law suit against the city and anyone associated with the water system for a plethora of reasons. Some for violating safety standards, interfering with commercial enterprise, reckless endangerment and what ever else I can thing of. Not so much for any monetary rewards it might offer but to wake up this and other cities that they just can’t keep doing these things. If they have water they need Commercial Divers either on staff or available to be called in an emergency.

PSD’s are not valve twisters. I voted that it was a PSD operation just so there would be a vote on that side of the line. :D

Gary D.

I voted that it was a PSD operation just so there would be a vote on that side of the line. :D

Gary, you're a funny dude!

One thing to consider, and assuming this was not a PSD operation, the divers could still do the operation as long as they followed the OSHA Standards. The department may have followed every OSHA Standard and I assume they did. With that in mind, there would not be a basis for the civil suit Gary makes reference too.

Whether or not the FD should have done the dive is not the basis of my question and I would not question their decision, so I want to clarify.

Is this a PSD operation AND consequently, can the PSD team enact their OSHA exemption to conduct the operation? ... That might better clarify the poll question.

In no way is this a PSD dive.

Dive%20Search.jpg The money these guys get from there city they could probably turn a valve or two.

Water Rescue Team

Each year, the river, lakes and bayous in Shreveport provide countless hours of entertainment and relaxation for our citizens. However, the elements of danger and tragedy are always connected to water-related activities. The Shreveport Fire Department Water Rescue Team has, for over thirty years, provided emergency response to drowning, attempted suicides and accidents, and has recovered property and vehicles for area law enforcement agencies.

In 1995, the Water Rescue Team was dispatched to more than 40 assignments; including 12 attempted suicides from local bridges, two of which actually entered the water and were successfully removed; assisted law enforcement on five occasions for weapons recovery or homicide victim search; seven stand-by assignments for special events; one chemical release, and the body recovery of two drowning victims. The team has received a sixteen foot support trailer that will be used on extended assignments, and a 12' inflatable raft for rapid deployment. Five new divers were added this year and nearly 100 man hours of training were completed.

My yes vote is quickly loosing ground as it should. :D

I spent enough time twisting valves, plugging holes, building and installing cofferdams, replacing gaskets, replacing valves of various sizes and I can tell you it isn’t for a normally trained PSD. This can be hard work and the least bit of a distraction can get a diver into trouble.

Add to that a confined space and current and you’ve compounded the problem. I’m sure they wouldn’t have closed the schools for a diver’s funeral.

In the last year we have seen three incidents here on SB of a similar nature where unqualified divers have done commercial jobs related to some municipality. Out of the three incidents there were what appears to be a total of nine divers. Out of those nine two died which for any operation, under any circumstances is unacceptable.

Gary D.

I am sort of neutral on this one...

One thing that crosses my mind is the 2000 census showing more that 200,000 citizens and almost 87,000 residential units. Had the water supply failed, the "safety" of the citizens may have been compromised.

The proof of the team's knowledge, skill and ability is evident by the fact that they respond safely to many incidents, or they have been extremely lucky. I personnaly believe they have the skills though.

The issue here isn't to find fault in the team.

I posted this in hopes that we might consider what is "PSD" and what is "commercial." For the "new folks" benefit, OLD guys like Gary :D know when to call for a commercial dive team. But we also know that things are not always "black" and "white" and oftentimes, expecially when it comes to the PSD exemption, there are many shades of "Grey."

It is apparent that many who have read the article believe this operation was not a PSD operation and consequently the OSHA standards apply.

We'll see over time how others vote and I am hopeful I too can learn.

One thing that crosses my mind is the 2000 census showing more that 200,000 citizens and almost 87,000 residential units. Had the water supply failed, the "safety" of the citizens may have been compromised.

I see where you're coming from here, Blades. Because it may be a job that affects "public health/safety" maybe it should encompass "public safety diving". If you think about it though, there are many aspects of public service that are outside the bounds of LE, EMS, FD services yet still impact the health and safety of its citizens -- ie nobody expects the FD to do garbage collection between calls or its ambulance service to do snow removal/street cleaning between calls...

I see PSD as no different and perhaps the title is false. I believe TDI coined the term ERD (Emergency Response Diver). I think that title is more appropriate to what we do and what we train for. There's nothing that I've seen in any PSD training and reference materials that prepares a team for doing what most would consider commercial work; including this scenario

Pure and simple commercial diving job.

I have worked on hundreds of jobs that had the *potential* to become public health problems but because the right people, with the right training and using the right equipment did the job right there was never a health/safety issue for anyone, let alone the public at large.

Where would one draw the line or should draw the line between calling a Commercial Dive Opp and just doing it yourself?

After you check to see if the car is empty, if the tow truck is there, do you hook it up or make them call another diver? This seems more like a union issue than ability thing.

There are certain things that are cut and dry commercial, the poop diver comes to mind. But at any time you could say hey this is out of my league or I don't have the right equipment. Maybe we should call somebody?

Blade this is your thread if Im out of line here just tell me to shut up and go away.

Back
Top Bottom