Puerto Rico suggestions???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leaveonlybubbles

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay, so I've never been diving in Puerto Rico but am looking at planning a trip in February for a group...
Here's what I'm hoping I can find:
a) Affordable, ideally eco-friendly operator!
b) Within easy reach of San Juan airport (know it'll be a bit of a drive but we're going to only do a 4 night, 3 days diving trip)
c) Now here's the biggy... Someplace where I can do BOTH open water certifications and make experienced divers happy... If there were some shore diving that'd be an even bigger boost.

SUGGESTIONS???
-Locations?
-Ops?

Thanks!

There is a dive center in Aguadilla called Puerto Rico Technical Diving Center. They have a friendly staff and can take care of all of your needs. You will also be diving in some top notch areas far away (2 hours) from San Juan.

There is actualy a ton of options for you as for diving in PR. Lots of groups going out durring the week ends and some durring the week.

Casa Del Mar boat dives( Leaving from Fajardo, hour and a half drive from San Juan going slow) Normaly cost around $130-150 and includes 3 dives close to Saint John or Croix or Culebra.
One of my personal Favorites is Pedro Padilla leaving from Guanica ( another hour drive to the south of the island directly below San Juan ) And his tours are normaly about $80 range for 2 dives , short trip on boat and great sea life.

Also you have Scuba Dogs, who rent their gear for about $40s for a full set, and they have a nice shop right next to the beach in San Juan, El Escambron beach. Lots of life there, easy diving, only 20ish feet some great spots for pictures and a few small caverns along the way. Lion Fish are starting to show up all over the place though.
If your military or have friends who are, you can rent gear from the military post too for about $45 for a full week end.

Lots of resources down here in PR, if your interested in any of them Id be happy to post contact information

To Gamgan, I will be in PR on the east side Fajardo from October 16th to the 23rd. I will be with my husband (who doesn't dive) and would be interested in diving with you if you are available as a dive buddy. Open to suggestions as to where to dive, but would like to do Culebra.
Let me know if interested.

I did a trip to Puerto Rico for some diving with friends a couple years back. (post 3 here) We flew direct from Newark to Aguadilla. If I were to go back to PR, I head straight to La Parguera for the diving and for the quaint little town and surroundings.

I'm travelling to Puerto Rico 11/15through 11/21/2010. Would like recommendations and dive buddies. The people I'm going with are non-divers. I want to get in several dives if possible.

Can you say more about where you will be staying on the island? That will help us to narrow down your choices.

All the above recommendations are good. I live here in PR and just finished a great day of Diving at Taino Divers. Small shop in Rincon just yards from the beach. 1st time there and was very impressed. It is run by a Gringo and he really knows the places to go. We went out to Desecheo Island (Note: weather is in play when going there) and had a perfect day for the Mona......

The first dive was at the Playground. Nice site lots of swim throughs and great visibility. The current was a little strong but no major effect. 100+ foot visibility.

The second dive was at Yellow Coral. This formation starts at 20 feet and goes down to 90+/- Lots of swim throughs, a huge anchor, too many fish to count, and great coral formations. Bring your light to see all the critters in the swim throughs. Lobster 10-12 lb all over but it is in a no fishing area. Had fun playing with them. Lots of Lion Fish and the DM had his hands full killing everyone he found. Must have removed a dozen......

Boat was great for diving and swimming and a wealth of information.

I have dove with all the before mentioned shops and today was one of the best since I arrived here in PR. I will definitely go back there for more diving. In Rincon there is a beach that you can do a wall dive from 5 min from the dive shop.

Any one looking for a dive buddy in PR drop me an e-mail. Always looking for a new dive experience.

Back
Top Bottom