Pull Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radinator:
[HIJACK]

Nova, I see a lot of excuses for what seems to me to be basic bad diving practices.

I stay off the bottom, whether it is sandy, coral, or whatever, so I don't develop bad habits. Every dive is a practice in buoyancy control.

Likewise for touching the reef/fish/whatever.

When I use my camera I understand that adds to the load - but it is NOT an excuse to get sloppy.

I've had buddies after a dive ask me "Did you know your elbow was only about an inch from that reef? Did you know your head came close to that coral when you were looking in the crack in the rock?"

My answer: "Yes, I knew it every time it happened. Did you ever see me touch anything?"

So far the answer is always "No." If that changes, I'll be very dissappointed in myself and have to work on my skills more. It's all about control.

Of course it also depends on the environment. If there is surge going on, I don't get close.

[/HIJACK]

Back to the original topic - I have a center (no pull) inflator connection on my DeepSeaSupply rig and have had no problems with it. I usually inflate from the upper, and dump from the lower.
In no way do I want you to take this the wrong way. But you dive the way you want and so will I. Because there is more than one way to do it, and I'm sure your proud of the way you dive.If you don't WANT to touch anything ,that's all good for you. I'm not the same as you . Who's to call anyone's diving wrong or sloppy? You? What's good for you might not be good for me. "it's all about control"? Who's to judge that? You? I can pull and glide a wreck without raising any silt, can you? Not if you can't touch it.

Point is , a diver has to know when and where to touch anything underwater. not just have a hands off attitude. this is my opinion and I'm sure it varies from yours. I'm not saying your wrong, just different.

nova:
I can pull and glide a wreck without raising any silt, can you? Not if you can't touch it.
You're so wrong. I can glide and hover without pulling - just using proper kicks and bouyancy control.

MonkSeal:
You're so wrong. I can glide and hover without pulling - just using proper kicks and bouyancy control.
saying I'm wrong is a little harsh. the growing disrepute of some agencies for this technique is evident in your post. That is a conservation issue. and yes if done wrong can have a negative impact. That is why agencies don't teach it to students that can't show the necessary skills to do the technique safely without damage to the environment.

there is a fine line between safety,conservation, efficiency, and silt control. when it comes down to speed and efficiency there is no better contact propulsion technique than the pull and glide. I find that in an overhead environment were silt can be a hazard to the diver, the pull and glide can't be beat. Should you not agree with me doesn't make you wrong , it just makes your opinion different than mine.

nova:
That is why agencies don't teach it to students that can't show the necessary skills to do the technique safely without damage to the environment.
Pull and glide techique isn't really something that is to be taught. Any OW diver can do that as any OW diver can lay at bottom and than ascend with one breath.

BTW Filling your profile (number of dives, cert agencies, dive history, etc.) could help.

nova:
Who's to call anyone's diving wrong or sloppy? You?
Yep, me. I don't know if you're making excuses for being sloppy or are just lazy and uncaring but you are intentionally and willfully wrong.
Point is , a diver has to know when and where to touch anything underwater. not just have a hands off attitude.
Good point - there are some things that are okay to touch, other things that shouldn't and knowing the difference is important. To reiterate, coral dies when you touch it - so don't.
this is my opinion and I'm sure it varies from yours. I'm not saying your wrong, just different.
Ah, the ecumenism of "I'm okay, you're okay." NOT! Your opinion that it's okay to grab the coral is dead wrong. Literally.
monkseal:
BTW Filling your profile (number of dives, cert agencies, dive history, etc.) could help.
As an old farm boy, I don't need nova to post a bunch of b.s. to his profile to explain what that smell is.

MonkSeal:
Pull and glide techique isn't really something that is to be taught. Any OW diver can do that as any OW diver can lay at bottom and than ascend with one breath.

I like to leave that blank. but for you , here goes it.

padi ow 1978
padi aow
padi nitrox
padi cavern
sdi rescue
sdi solo
tdi decompression
tdi advanced nitrox
nss-cds cavern
nss-cds intro (didn't finish because I had to leave fla.)

number of dives, I've got no clue because I don't log anymore.

I took the NSS courses for overhead just to crossover the skills for wreck diving. (like so many others do)

on top of that I've read every north American agencies training manual including GUE and U.S Navy , and I've sat through countless lectures on marine archaeology, wreck surveying, and marine conservation.

so as you can see, I'm just an average diver that's not real good at spelling and grammer( hope you don't hold that against me)

reefraff:
Yep, me. I don't know if you're making excuses for being sloppy or are just lazy and uncaring but you are intentionally and willfully wrong.
Good point - there are some things that are okay to touch, other things that shouldn't and knowing the difference is important. To reiterate, coral dies when you touch it - so don't.
Ah, the ecumenism of "I'm okay, you're okay." NOT! Your opinion that it's okay to grab the coral is dead wrong. Literally.
As an old farm boy, I don't need nova to post a bunch of b.s. to his profile to explain what that smell is.
Please don't tell me what to do, as an OLD FARM BOY you should know better. I still live in the country because I can't stand the smell of the people (and their opinions) in the city.

reefraff:
To reiterate, coral dies when you touch it - so don't.

Are you saying that touching coral results in the certain death of all the involved polyps in all cases? Or are you saying that such contact may result in the death of some of the involved polyps?

Take your conversation somewhere else, so far I have 3-1/2 Pages of Arguements, & the other 1 Page of people telling me not to use Pull Dumps, because I phrased the Question wrong!

Lets bring things back on track, Does a center "Air Dump" Interfere with hose roughting of doubles, or the regulater on a single?

Sorry.

To answer your question...no...for doubles and in my experience...no ...for singles as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom