Purchase lp tank without + rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephasiii

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have the opportunity to purchase 2 LP80 w/manifold and bands. The tanks were just hydro'd this week but the + rating was not stamped nor preformed. The seller is asking for $300 for the set. Would you purchase LP tanks without the + rating? I want to fill these to at least 2640 and up to 3000. Anyone have issues getting these fills on LP tanks without the +?

I appreciate your responses.

I have been hot filling my lp 80s to 3300 for 20 years. Cool down to around 3100. O problems. But I own a compressor. Ask around most will overfill steels some.

Last edited:
Officially, a shop wont fill LP tank to 2640 without + rating, so you will get 2400, which give you 72cf of air. If you can find a shop willing to give you a 3000 fill, they will do it with or without the +. So it really depends on your shop(s). If they are "by the book" kind, then it kind of suck wihtout the +.

The plus is only for the first initial hydro.

Patently false. YMMV (greatly) what an indvidual LDS will or will not do with or without the + rating. I have a tank that has had + and not + over the years. Not because it did or didn't qualify but because the hydro facilities don't always know what the heck they are doing.

I assume the OP knows all of this and is just looking for an opinion. I own 2 95's. One was not hydro'd and had 4 years left on the hydro. A friend told me to not bother because the LDS wouldn't fill to 2640 anyways. Well, I'm such a stubborn SOB that I went and had it rehydro'd and I got really assertive with the employee doing the fills until I started getting my 2640's everytime. 3000? Not in North Austin. There are places south of me that will but it's too far away.

I assume as an MSDT you have some influence over the filling procedures. I'd buy them (for the right price) get them + rated and start filling to whatever you are comfortable with. If they don't pass + you can sell them forward for the right price.

Thanks. These are steal LP80. My understanding was once the + was gone, you can't get it back. I obviously could be wrong about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I can't quote the CFR that allows it, but I know it's possible. You may need to "help" the hydro tester by providing the REE number.

Some myths about getting a plus/+ rating on a low pressure (LP) steel tank : SCUBA Blog

photo (2).jpg

The plus is only for the first initial hydro.

Wrong, very wrong, really wrong. Old myth that has been debunked ad nauseum.

http://docketsinfo.dot.gov/reports/rspa/2003-06/030011.pdf

Oh and the stamped psi is with the 10% overfill.

Also wrong. 2400 is the working pressure which is stamped 3aa 2400 psi, with the plus the working pressure is 2640 psi.

Only LP steel tanks do [get + ratings]. It dates back to WWII when their was a steel shortages.

Not quite, in scuba we typically consider a LP cylinder to be one with a working pressure of 2640 psi (2400 + 10%) or less. However, MP (mid pressure) steels can also have a "+" rating. They are rated at 3300 psi (3000 +10%). The most common ones were made by Faber, i.e. M71DVB:

http://bluesteelllc.com/cylinder-specifications.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom