Purchasing NEW regulator in a couple weeks for MAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All,
I just got my PADI cert and am going to be purchasing a new regulator for a diving trip I have to Maui at the end of the month. I have read some of the postings and was looking for any advice (brand (Aqualung, Zeagle, Oceanic, Atomic....so many to choose from), characteristics, cold water vs. warm water, sealed vs. non-sealed, etc.). I know that the bottom line criteria is that it breathes well and breathes comfortably. I also understand that I will be inundated with advice and that is fine. As an FYI, I'd like to find a price-point right in the middle (not looking to break the bank, but I don't want anything too cheap either) and I am looking for something that can grow WITH me as I advance. Thanks.

If you are looking for a good breather and a sealed unit the oceanic GT3/CDX 5 is a good bargain,its a sound set up.
If you are going all the way take a look at Scuba Pro MK17 or Oceanic EOS .
if you are going to get an unsealed reg and you are not diving under the ice or going really deep Scuba pro MK2 169.00
This reg is about the most reliable simple design you can get.
Any where in the world you go the rental shops carry the mk2
that tells you something.
Again consider what you may want to do in the future not just the diving you plan to do today.

I also like what I read concerning the Atomic brands and if I had the cash I could be tempted into getting something from their line. With that being said, I don't think you would need to buy their top of the line as I have heard (and someone in the know can correct/verify this) that it is basically the same design with very minor difference (materials, etc) from the bottom to the top.

I spoke to an Atomic staffer at a scuba expo in San Diego last year. All the regs are the same basic design, the only difference between models is which materials are used for which parts. A very, very few small differences, he said.

I also like what I read concerning the Atomic brands and if I had the cash I could be tempted into getting something from their line. With that being said, I don't think you would need to buy their top of the line as I have heard (and someone in the know can correct/verify this) that it is basically the same design with very minor difference (materials, etc) from the bottom to the top.

I'm a big fan of Atomic and use the T2X, M1, Ti2 Octo, and Z2. All breathe great no matter what your underwater orientation is. The difference in price is the metals used in construction plus the cost of the Second Stage swivel. As such, the Z2 is a great reg for the price. I have found my local dive store the cheapest when they have their regular 20% sales. It seems like a huge jump in price for the T2 but you are paying for both a Ti 1st and 2nd stage.

My buddy and I dive for lobsters and after his reg 1st stage failed, he borrowed my Z2 - He was raving about it afterwards. You get into some unusual orientations reaching for lobsters and I learned that my buddy's reg was leaking when inverted - He has more than 1000 dives and he was used to his current and old reg acting in this fashion. He found my Z2 was basically dry. Christmas is bringing him an ST1.

See if you can try before you buy... or read up on all the reviews you can get your hands on.

Dwayne

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom