Purge masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a new diver, so I've been using the same mask I bought for snorkling a couple years ago. The mask has a purge valve and comes in handy getting the water out after I open it up to clear the fog. It seems like the vast majority (by far) of masks at dive shops do not have purge valves. Why aren't there more of those types? Is there a downside to having a purge valved mask?

:cheers:
Steve

They are bigger and they can fail leaving you with a leaky or flooded mask. While they aren't as popular, they are fine to use if you already have it.

Every mask has a skirt that makes a fine purge valve.

A purge valve collects dirt and is hard to keep clean.

A purge valve can fail and cause the mask to leak.

A purge valve usually costs extra.

All of the points are very valid and what I used to tell people when I worked in the retail side. I'm not very nice to my gear, one of my masks has a nose purge, I've used it for at least 200 dives and haven't had a problem with it. The nose purge masks I've seen that have problems, always have them in the purge (go figure). Mine is no larger than my non-purge four-pane mask, so there are slim ones available. I tend to use my purge on dives when my hands are more likely to be full (camera, teaching deep dives) and it's very handy. But I keep a non purge in a pocket as backup.

A purge comes in handy when exhaling through your nose to better control your rate of exhaling. I have a short upper lip which cause the purge to sometimes rub against the part of my nose which seperates the nostrils. I guess you'd call it the bottom. I have over 200 dives on this mask. Other than that, no problemo. If and when I buy a new prescription mask I'll have the purge placed somewhere else to eliminate this rubbing.

When it fails, and it will, buy yourself a good low volume mask without purge, side or bottom windows, or any other gimmicks.

By "good" I mean one that is robustly made, and fits you properly and doesn't leak. I don't mean "expensive". Any more than $50 and you should think very carefully whether that's the one for you.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Looks like I'll stick with my current purge mask on my upcoming trip, but the next one will probably be a no-purge one. At least there'll be plenty of dive shops where I'll be going (Florida Keys).

:cheers:
Steve

I prefer no-frills, low volume masks. The low volume makes them easy to clear with a single exhalation. I keep a back-up mask which is also low-volume, but also folds flat ('frameless') for stowage in my dry/wetsuit pocket.

As other have said... there is nothing 'wrong' with a purge valve mask. But it does add to the bulk of a mask and the purge itself will become the component that is most likely to fail.

Clearing a mask is such an easy skill, there's just no need for a purge valve.

Nose purge masks are not a gimmick, are useful and have great utility for those of us divers who use hard contact lenses; if one (or both:shocked2:) lens pops out, you can still retain the loose lens in the mask for eventual recovery after surfacing, while blowing out the nose purge valve to clear a flooded mask while at depth. . .

(Otherwise & obviously, clearing a mask the conventional way --I would lose that loose lens. . .)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom