Q for Toronto divers/internet users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been in Toronto for about 1 month now, and have been having constant access problems with SCUBAboard, with frequent messages of "this webpage could not be found" sprouting up on my computer at home.

Thing is, at work access to SCUBAboard has been perfectly fine . Which makes me think that the problem isn't on SCUBAboards end, but rather with my internet provider. I'm on rogers - anyone else having similar problems, particularity through rogers?

I'm right downtown TO, if that matters...

thanx

Bryan

I'm on rogers - anyone else having similar problems, particularity through rogers?

Most of the time, no problems reaching SB in Ottawa over Rogers, but maybe once a week (late at night, esp. around midnight) seem to loose all http access, sometimes only w/ SB, sometimes w/ other sites, even though other things are still working. (No, I don't run any file sharing.)

OTOH, I've heard one or two people in TO say their work firewalls block SB.

Maybe I should fire their help desk an e-mail. I'm usually trying to grab SCUBAboard in the evening (6-10PM)...

thanx

Bryan

It may very well be Rogers. From time to time, I seem to get frozen out - at home. At work it is fine. I don't know about the "downtown" factor but I suspect Rogers is the issue just the same. It may also depend on your system set up. Call Rogers (good luck!:D) and let us know what you find out.

Neil

It may very well be Rogers. From time to time, I seem to get frozen out - at home. At work it is fine. I don't know about the "downtown" factor but I suspect Rogers is the issue just the same. It may also depend on your system set up. Call Rogers (good luck!:D) and let us know what you find out.

Neil

Just to make things a little more odd, I'm replying via rogers - and its working perfectly...

Email is sent

Bryan

Funny how that happens....it's almost as if "they know". As I was responding to you yesterday, everything started to slow down. Ya think?

Neil

I don't know a lot about rogers, but do you know if you're connecting directly or via a Roger's proxy server? My ISP offers a proxy server, which for some websites, make things happen much more quickly, but makes some site very slow or not available, especially those with changing content like Scubaboard. For that reason, I don't use the proxy server. In IE, look under Tools, Internet Options, Connections Tab, Settings and uncheck everthing for the connection you are using. Then restart IE for changes to take effect. ISP's like you to use proxy as it reduces their bandwidth needs and thus reduces their expenses.
Let me know if this helps.

Given that, Kevin, perhaps it IS the large changing content of SB that is too much for little ol' Rogers to deal with.

I have a satellite internet provider (cable is not an option, and in rural Ontario all you get is slowwww dialup if you don't have satellite internet). Once in a while I'll get a slow SB connection too.

I don't know a lot about rogers, but do you know if you're connecting directly or via a Roger's proxy server?

No, I am not. Nor do I use IE, firefox all the way...

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom