Qualifications of a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised no one has said either periodic recertification/testing or completion of some kind of continuing education credits to maintain recency.
I'm a little skeptical of this idea. Namely, that it would be exploited by dive-training-agencies in an endless loop to continuously leech money out of the dive-community.

I think this adds to my point that "Dive Master" is really the wrong name for a "Dive Guide."

SSI offers 2 levels of dive guide (pro and non pro) as well as dive master.

I'm a little skeptical of this idea. Namely, that it would be exploited by dive-training-agencies in an endless loop to continuously leech money out of the dive-community.

Thought: the DM "qualification" is actually two things. Firstly it's a minimum level "Pro" qualification for working as a guide / assistant on a course, etc. This *should* be subject to periodic reviews, if only to correct any unconscious competence issues, but would be the same as your health and safety medical. The other use for a DM is yet another course for someone to do, i.e. this isn't a "Pro" use.

Personally I have massive issues with the term Master. They're not. Whilst some may be great divers with a wealth of experience across the diving spectrum, most won't be anything of the sort as they're only exposed to the PADI recreational diving world (other agencies are available -- but it was PADI who exploited the DiveMASTER term)

The more I dive, the more I know I don't know and the more I know I need to work on my skills. Am I a master... definitely not. Calling oneself that is an outright arrogance.

If we called them "Dive Guides" instead, the name perhaps better matches the role, and our expectation of Dive-Guides as well

Interesting.

In a world where the vast majority of divers can't manage to keep track of their own buddy and their own buoyancy and gas contents

Guiding a group deserves a little more respect. It's no mean task to keep tabs on 6 - 10 divers. Making sure they're not wandering off, being able to keep tabs on their gas levels, while navigating the dive keeping tabs and finding critters, while constantly havign a sixth sense for diver problems and being able to solve them and maintain control of the group. They also need to know how to guide the group to ensure the max underwater time.

You'd be surprised how much mental bandwidth you need, and how much effort it requires to learn those skills, even on a familiar site. Just because it looks easy doesn't mean that it is

Guiding a group deserves a little more respect. It's no mean task to keep tabs on 6 - 10 divers. Making sure they're not wandering off, being able to keep tabs on their gas levels, while navigating the dive keeping tabs and finding critters, while constantly havign a sixth sense for diver problems and being able to solve them and maintain control of the group. They also need to know how to guide the group to ensure the max underwater time.

You'd be surprised how much mental bandwidth you need, and how much effort it requires to learn those skills, even on a familiar site. Just because it looks easy doesn't mean that it is
Sounds horrible!

The industry needs a proper shake up from OW to instructor.

Hi Centrals,

I am not trying to jack the thread. I think my feelings regarding my experience may be another arrow in your quiver, so to speak.

I did not get respect from dive ops by flashing a cert card until I got my Tech 40 cert. My point is that most of these certs are incremental stepping stones on a longer journey. I assumed early on that my OW, than my AOW, and on and on, would buy me some leeway in how I was treated on the first dive of an organized trip. I was treated no better than the lowest common denominator, or like an idiot. To the point that DMs were trying to re-rig my kit.

My experience with instructors and DMs in terms of their expertise is mixed. Some are good and some are SHEET!

How do we fix that? I don't know. This would be a hard ship to turn. Lots of deadweight.

I have had several careers. One thing I have learned from those experiences is that there is a definite dichotomy between training and actually doing the job.

You will never be a tug skipper until you are the tug's skipper. You will never become a blue water navigator (or green water pilot) until you have done it as the Captain.

You won't become a General Contractor until you have actually used that license for real. You will never become an entitlement Project Manager until you have stood before a planning commission, or a city council, or a board of supervisors and been laughed at by your opponents because you made a mistake or your mannerisms indicate that your are nervous.

You can swing a hammer all your life and not be a carpenter, but if you _____ _____ once you are a _____ _____ for life! (fill in the blanks with what ever you wish. There are many iterations of that cliché).

Some people will never be good DM's or Instructors no matter what the licensing structure is.

So the real question for me isn't the qualifications of a DM, but of the diver who feels they NEED a DM (or DG) to follow around like a sheep?

Yep!

cheers,
m

My experience with instructors and DMs in terms of their expertise is mixed. Some are good and some are SHEET!

How do we fix that? I don't know. This would be a hard ship to turn. Lots of deadweight.
I have the same experience from DM/DG to instructor. Probably same in every trade.
Yes, a lot of deadweight.
Solution? Highly unlikely.
Have to look at the bright side of life.

Solution? Highly unlikely.
Learn to be as independent as possible. This is true of everything in life. People are too quick to leave their problems to others. I do my own roofing, my own house repairs, my own vehicle repairs, grow some of my own food (and for others), do my own plumbing, create my own devices with arduino, Rpi, & ESP32, print my own parts when possible and the list goes on. I try to avoid doctors unless it's something I need stitched or worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom