Quality Plastic Buckles? Want to Switch from SS to Something Lightweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ti (4500kg/m3) is heavier than Al (2700kg/m3)

Perhaps you meant to say that Ti is denser than Al? Which, of course, does not really tell us which one would make for a lighter BP (of equal strength).

While your at it, you could change all the D rings for the lighter aluminum ones.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could fill your wing with helium before packing it...:wink:

Backpacking equipment has plastic buckles all over the place, some of which are weight bearing. So there are likely plastic buckles that will work fine, especially considering they're not supporting any significant amount of weight in the water. And there are lots and lots of plastic cambands in use that work fine, even though cambands are cinched much tighter and are under a lot more stress than waist belt buckles. If you replaced your metal cambands with plastic and your metal waist buckle with plastic you might save a couple of pounds. It wouldn't be worth it to me, but I save multiple pounds by simply using a light weight duffle bag instead of a 10-15 lb rolling suitcase.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 07:38 AM ----------

Might as well pick up a titanium backplate while you're at it.

Don't laugh, the old jetharness plate came in titanium. Then again, they went out of business.

Backpacking equipment has plastic buckles all over the place, some of which are weight bearing. So there are likely plastic buckles that will work fine, especially considering they're not supporting any significant amount of weight in the water. And there are lots and lots of plastic cambands in use that work fine, even though cambands are cinched much tighter and are under a lot more stress than waist belt buckles. If you replaced your metal cambands with plastic and your metal waist buckle with plastic you might save a couple of pounds. . . .

As I understand it, the concern over plastic hardware is more about the potential for damage from someone stepping on it or it otherwise getting banged up, and less about breaking under stress. I dared use a plastic buckle to hold a canister light in place and was summarily advised to replace it with a proper metal one. :rolleyes:

To the OP, forget the naysayers. I fully understand your quest for weight reduction. The idea that clipping your nails or getting a hair cut would equal the weight savings, well, maybe, but maybe do both an then double your weight savings! The thinking that a little weight savings is not worth the effort leads to a lot of extra weight that those of us who are trying to squeeze a lot into very little might appreciate.

I have had no issues with plastic buckles and there are two on most BPs. The weight reduction is noticeable to me. But for a plate I am using he Oxy fabric plate until two summers ago (including this one) and switched to the VDH aluminum mini-plate.

N

Some of the plastic buckles flex under stress and slip. I also had one that would slowly open over the course of a dive. I have a few others that were inexpensive and work very well. I have been using one to hold my can light without issue for years.

Sent via

Some of the plastic buckles flex under stress and slip. I also had one that would slowly open over the course of a dive. I have a few others that were inexpensive and work very well. I have been using one to hold my can light without issue for years.

Sent via

I had the same issue with a plastic buckle used to secure canister. I went to metal, canister is scratched already, and it's not opened once.

---------- Post added September 15th, 2015 at 08:46 PM ----------

I too understand the quest for weight reduction although mine is more OCD than practically based, I want the lightest strength/robust to weight ratio travel rig. That and I'm not big and don't like having to carry heavy bags.

Don't laugh, the old jetharness plate came in titanium. Then again, they went out of business.

When the Jet Harness guy was selling titanium plates, the cost of a pound of titanium was about $15. Now it is about $30 per pound. While more expensive than brass or steel it is not super expensive like gold, platinum, or even silver. Although, the scuba manufacturers price titanium items like they are made out of more expensive metals.

There have been backplates selling in the $200 range for some time. Certainly at this price they could be made out of titanium.

I think the Jet Harness was a product a bit before its time.

To the OP, forget the naysayers. I fully understand your quest for weight reduction. The idea that clipping your nails or getting a hair cut would equal the weight savings, well, maybe, but maybe do both an then double your weight savings! The thinking that a little weight savings is not worth the effort leads to a lot of extra weight that those of us who are trying to squeeze a lot into very little might appreciate.

I have had no issues with plastic buckles and there are two on most BPs. The weight reduction is noticeable to me. But for a plate I am using he Oxy fabric plate until two summers ago (including this one) and switched to the VDH aluminum mini-plate.

N

Is this the plate you're using? You're one of the people I always recall writing about weight reduction, so I'm glad you've replied here. :)

Curious to know why you're no longer using the OxyCheq plate? (I don't dive nearly as often as you do, so I'm not too concerned with its ability to last at this point as long as a metal plate would.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom