Another Al v.s SS BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of factors that play a role, and all have been covered. I'll add my 2 cents, that at my current weight, an alu plate with a 3.5mm full suit (I'm 6' and about 190lbs), I only need 4 lbs of trim weight, and could probably trim it down to 2 lbs or even no lbs (since my camera is about 2lbs negative, but I don't really want to be counting on that for ballast). I've removed the integrated weight pockets I have on the BC, because I get better trim and a more streamlined setup with a few trim pockets on the upper tank strap. I'd probably be an ideal candidate for a steel plate (which would obviate the need for any additional weight), but 2 alu plates means our dive gear (minus regs) fits one roller checked bag that stays within weight limits. And 2 2lb blocks of lead doesn't interfere with my streamlining. Pretty sharp contrast with what a quick google and a few calculators suggest I 'need' (between 9.5 and 17 lbs, supposedly)

I started out 'needing' 10 lbs, but after dropping that in weight since the first trip with that gear (more muscle mass, less fat) and gaining some confidence with the new gear, I steadily trimmed off extra lead. Only difference in gear setup was a Yoke adapter, so real difference is likely slightly smaller. Shore diving on Bonaire made checking weight at the end of the dive easy - we generally 'emptied' the tanks (dove up to the safe limit for us), and spent our safety stops in shallow water, sometimes in sandy areas at 15 feet where it's easy enough to remove some weight, place it on the ground, and see if you can still stay down with an relatively empty AL80.

... I started out 'needing' 10 lbs, but after dropping that in weight since the first trip with that gear (more muscle mass, less fat) and gaining some confidence with the new gear, I steadily trimmed off extra lead... .
Good encouragement! Thanks.

...Also, your mention in another post of carrying two SMBs reminded me that GUE addresses the idea of balancing safety with minimalism... .
Lorenzoid: Valid thoughts and appreciated.
On a "regular dive" I carry one SMB, always. But yes, for the purpose of extra redundancy in the lift department if the whole intent of that "training dive" is to try, to practice something that suggests to me to rather play it safe, I would not hesitate carrying two BUT considering that I would just be practicing and would not really have a BCD failure, I concede that I don't easily can conjure together a situation that would really justify bringing two SMBs. A lift bag (for using it as such) and an SMB yes, two SMBs maybe not... maybe I should figure out how to get in the water sooner rather than just thinking about it...

SMB is pretty easy to stow away safely.
In some of the really open water dives I carried THREE, two red and one yellow.

Why not?
Really open water dive means tec wreck.
Yellow colour has specific pre-agreed meaning to the crew.
Anything could happen when I deploy the smb under water. It is always handy to have a spare one just in case.

Why not?
Really open water dive means tec wreck.
Yellow colour has specific pre-agreed meaning to the crew.
Anything could happen when I deploy the smb under water. It is always handy to have a spare one just in case.

Well then, what is the established meaning of the different colors and why don't you carry a backup yellow?

For us:
Red: normal
Yellow: problem, there will be an attached message(slate) on the smb but usually means deco gas.

Back up yellow?
OTT.

If a steel plate is the amount of weight you want fixed on your back, a lighter plate (AL/etc) plus some lead weights that you bolt/ziptie/whatever to it lets you shift some of your ballast up or down your body a bit to get your static trim right. An apposed to all the steel plate's weight being centered one fixed spot relative to your harness, tank, etc.

Well then, what is the established meaning of the different colors and why don't you carry a backup yellow?

this is normal behavior. We use orange as normal, and yellow or bright green as problem normally *based on what we have*, and any problems go up with a slate to ask for something. Pretty much SoP on any technical OW dives.

those are in addition to the big oh **** I'm lost 2m safety sausages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom