Another Al v.s SS BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys I'm making the switch to a BP/W set up and trying to get some clarity on Al or SS. I currently dive a scubapro litehawk with 8 lbs on a weight belt with a 3mm. All my dives have been in 65 to 80 degrees. All Al 80 tanks and my reg setup is about 4 lbs. Im not a big guy, 5'7 and weigh 145. I figured the litehawk is 5.2lbs dry weight which is about the same as most SS backplates. So with the addition of a harness, buckles and tank strap. would be about 2 -3lbs. So essentially I would be be overweighted by a couple pounds if I do SS and need about 4-6 pounds if I go the route of Al. I do travel for all my diving but the weight isn't a concern. Im leaning to SS but open to anyone advice on if this calculation seems off or any advice from those who have dove both ss and Al bp.

remember there is a difference between buoyancy and dry land weight. Buoyancy is determined by density, not mass. That said, your Lighthawk is probably a pound or two positively buoyant vs a SS plate being about 6lbs negatively buoyant. The dry weight of the total rig will increase by probably 3lbs depending on which rig you go with which only changes travel weight. Certain rigs will have lower travel weight than others due to harness components, and wing/attachment structure.

With SS plate it is unlikely you would need any weight, but if you did, it would probably only be about 2lbs. With AL, Kydex, etc. you'd need 4-6. Personally in that situation, I would go with SS as it would almost guaranteed remove your need for a weight belt.

I have a kydex backplate, but only use it when diving steel doubles in a wetsuit, which is not quite kosher. I'd use it if diving steels without a wetsuit, but I don't ever do that, so it's a bit of a moot point. My SS backplate sees infinitely more use, both with doubles in a drysuit, and singles with al80's

SS all the way.

I only run a kydex plate if I'm traveling to warm water. And when I do wear my 3mm wetsuit, I'm wishing I had my SS plate. I'm really close to 50# in my suitcase, otherwise I'd only own SS plates. I can only dive naked in saltwater, so even then, I'm carrying extra weight on my belt.

If I could dive naked in fresh water my SS plate would have me overweighted. But who does that? Freshwater is cold.

My Coldwater setup:
Deep Sea Supply SS long plate
10# SS weight plates (have to remove these if I had water warm enough to not use the wetsuit)
HP100
LCD30 wing
3mm wetsuit, and trying to get a new dry suit.

Vacation:
Deep Sea Supply long kydex plate
Torus 17 wing
AL80
3mm or naked (just a bathing suit and t shirt)

SS all the way.

I only run a kydex plate if I'm traveling to warm water. And when I do wear my 3mm wetsuit, I'm wishing I had my SS plate. I'm really close to 50# in my suitcase, otherwise I'd only own SS plates. I can only dive naked in saltwater, so even then, I'm carrying extra weight on my belt.

If I could dive naked in fresh water my SS plate would have me overweighted. But who does that? Freshwater is cold.

oh, i should point out that I'm negatively buoyant in my kydex plate with an al80, naked, in fresh water, but that only happens when demonstrating skills in a teaching environment, in which case I'm usually using the university gear to save mine from the chlorine.

regarding travel weight. regulators are the biggest weight offender in my experience. They go in carryon, no exceptions

I never thought about that. That's a good idea. It's pretty obvious that a scuba regulator isn't a bomb or "tool" to the TSA (I hope).

I never thought about that. That's a good idea. It's pretty obvious that a scuba regulator isn't a bomb or "tool" to the TSA (I hope).

I can pack just about everything in a rollaboard, but my regs come on with me because of the weight and the fact that while the Poseidon Jetstreams I use are basically indestructible, I don't want to risk it

That's not shrinkage, it's negative boyancy.

Anyway, I see only two circumstances in which an aluminum or kydex plate would be advantageous over a good old all-purpose steel plate: (1) when using a steel tank when wearing something less buoyant than a thick wetsuit or drysuit, or (2) when one is going to fret over 2-3 lbs. of luggage weight.

For diving an Al 80 while wearing a 3-5 mm wetsuit, I would choose a steel plate, even if it means 2-3 lbs. more in my luggage.

Last edited:
My SS plate with tank bands, harness, and all the normal rings is 9.8 pounds!

I might try to remove the rings I don't need. I think there's two extra. I could get rid of my SPG as well and just use the gauge on my computer. But that would be a stinky reason to miss a dive, if the sensor failed.

I am thinking about going to a BP/W as well, for travel purposes. I have a Zeagle Brigade now and with a steel 120 HP and no exposure suite I use 2 lbs of lead. When I wear a 3/2mm I am a little heavy with 4 lbs. I only plan to dive warm saltwater and use 120 steel tanks often. For travel I am more concerned with luggage space than I am weight. I want to be able to carry on only for short trips. Would an AL plate be better in this situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom