Another Al v.s SS BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fly quite a bit for business, so I try not to violate the length structures for carryons because they destroy overhead space. I literally want to bash someones head in when I see hipsters getting on planes with full size week long hiking packs for carryons since they take up as much room as 3 rollaboards. At 26.5 I think it would probably fit my fins, but would be cutting it close due to the big foot pockets, but I won't be "that guy" that has to turn a backpack sideways because it's too long for the overheads. It may be just short enough and just narrow enough to squeeze all the way back into the corner, but unsure.

Report on yukon outfitters odyssey 45+10:

- on 2 planes: a 737 and an MD88 the "45" part with the "+10" detached fits into the overhead bins "properly". You may have to push the top/handle in a bit to close the bin, but on the plus side it takes less room than the standard rollaboard because it's narrower. Note that IRL the length of the "stiff" part is closer to 24" than it is to 26.5". If you need that extra inch and a half for the fins, it'll probably take it, being a soft pack, but then you may have problems closing the overhead bin. With Accels it was fine.

Packing list: Al BP, webbing, Hollis #25 wing, a pair of Accels, 2mm shorty, 2mm soft-sole booties, speedos, sandals, cargo shorts, couple of t-shirts, fleece jacket and ran/windbreaker. "+10" pack: small laptop, dive computer, batteries, compass, camera and assorted stuff. Adding the regs (I rent) might take some packing skills but shouldn't be too difficult.

Overall, not bad for thirty-five bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom