Question about air integrated computers and transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a REALLY awesome setup on some guys rig on this past dive trip. It's PERFECT for those of us who want to carry a backup SPG to their AI
Please explain.

I live in Northwest Ohio and most of my dives are in tropical locations. I don't want to abort a dive due to an equipment failure. When you consider the cost of travel etc. The price of those dives add up and I want to make them all count. I'd have no problems scratching a dive over not feeling well (or qualified for the dive), but I'd be pissed if I had to scratch one over something that was easily preventable.
I can understand this. I live in the Northern part of Europe and skipping a holiday dive because of some simple problem after a long journey is certainlly not what you want.

AJ:
I can understand this. I live in the Northern part of Europe and skipping a holiday dive because of some simple problem after a long journey is certainlly not what you want.
This is why I take spares, whether it's a long trip , or our regular weekend trip where we're (my wife and I)away from civilisation.

My method is this:

I don't' service my regs using a set time period, but when they need it, but I regularly check them with an IP gauge. However at least annually I change all teh easy O rings on hose's, transmitters and gauges - for no better reason that I live and dive in a really hot climate, and my gear is used a few times a month so gets lots of pressure cycles. But basic preventative maintenance

Then when away, I take spares of pretty much everything. A whole reg set that we can swap out or just scavenge from, thinks like new LP inflator valve, dump valve (s) for the wings and the usual like spring straps, o rings - even a complete spare bladder that we can just swap out (because we have one).

Before people laugh, Pete, the Chairman of the SB Surge in Fiji had his inflator pull out from his BCD os is diving old school to get by. No thanks

And of course the usual trinkets that would allow me to keep our gear going for the duration.

ome may feel that's too much, split between two (our bags go in the hold) it's no biggie and doesn't add much the weight. I work on the principle that its not what you have, but what you don't' have is what you'll need.

Yes on a LoB I could borrow some rental gear and dive it - but I wouldn't enjoy it as much. So for me preventative maintenance plus taking spares wins. Others may feel differently

Not yet missed a dive due to gear issues

My Suunto d4i failed on the very first day of my holidays, exactly on the second dive.

My first time using it was in a quarry to test it.

So I wouldn’t trust AI enough to have no backup.

I used to dive with a brass and glass spg to backup my Perdix AI, but after 150+ dives with no issues, it is now in my regulator bag ready for install in case I need a backup. It's always great to have redundancy, so if I ever have a transmitter issue, I'm covered.

All:
I read some of this thread and am really shocked at some of your answers/responses on wether to use a mechanical pressure gauge if you have ai. I am a pilot and also an airframe and power plant guy. I guess since I have been in aviation we have “redundant” systems. Why for the love of God would you get rid of a gauge on your console and leave everything to chance that your tank pod will not fail? What if it does and you’ve deleted the mechanical gauge? It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank. A mechanical gauge is not that expensive, you already have a console, why delete it? As for me and my family, we all have air integrated wrist mounted dive computers and we also have console mounted back up computers and air pressure gauges. Hope you guys remain safe. Please think about your choice to delete a gauge because of technology. My 2 pennies worth.

Glenn

All:
I read some of this thread and am really shocked at some of your answers/responses on wether to use a mechanical pressure gauge if you have ai. I am a pilot and also an airframe and power plant guy. I guess since I have been in aviation we have “redundant” systems. Why for the love of God would you get rid of a gauge on your console and leave everything to chance that your tank pod will not fail? What if it does and you’ve deleted the mechanical gauge? It’s a guessing game at that point on how much air you have left in your tank. A mechanical gauge is not that expensive, you already have a console, why delete it? As for me and my family, we all have air integrated wrist mounted dive computers and we also have console mounted back up computers and air pressure gauges. Hope you guys remain safe. Please think about your choice to delete a gauge because of technology. My 2 pennies worth.

Glenn

Console? Why do you think everyone uses a console? Ugh. :vomit: Plain SPG. Computers on wrists.

@Glenn Williams there are good reasons that a diver may choose not to backup their AI with an SPG. Your post makes it clear you have not read this thread anywhere near as thoroughly as you would a cockpit checklist.

For starters when a diver loses air pressure readings they can simply surface unlike a pilot who cannot just pull over to the side of the nearest cloud.

Back
Top Bottom