Question about an old tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psiborg1812

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, i recently got an old luxfer tank as a freebie in a craigslist deal. The tank is a Luxfer made in 87 (i know i know) BUT! It's not a bad alloy (6498) or any other bad alloy from that time, and it's also barely ever been used, it's las hydro was in 1992 and it was stored with air in it.

My question is do you think dive shops will fill it if it has a good VIP and hydro? I'd rather not go through the cost of testing it to find out nobody wants to fill it.

Thanks!

It would have to be one of these and made after the dates below to be made from 6061:

72 and 100 cu. ft........................... S72, S100 ... mfg date 8-87
80.8 cu. ft.................................... S80.8 ......... mfg date 5-87

Now what are the chances?? Slim. I bet it has S80 stamped on it which in that case it would need to be made after Jan 1988.

80 cu. ft....................................... S80 ........... mfg date 1-88

As for getting it filled. Instead of asking people on the board who are thousands of miles from Texas try calling some of your local shops. Otherwise my answer is maybe, maybe not.

psiborg1812:6244497:
Hi all, i recently got an old luxfer tank as a freebie in a craigslist deal. The tank is a Luxfer made in 87 (i know i know) BUT! It's not a bad alloy (6498) or any other bad alloy from that time, and it's also barely ever been used, it's las hydro was in 1992 and it was stored with air in it.

My question is do you think dive shops will fill it if it has a good VIP and hydro? I'd rather not go through the cost of testing it to find out nobody wants to fill it.

Thanks!

I doubt they will fill it. It has nothing to do with the VIP or hydro. I live in TX and I am familar with some of the shops around your area. The cost of AL80 is so cheap, dont waist your time. Even if you find someone to fill it what happens when your diving out of town?

I figured it wasn't worth it, I called several shops in the area, they either said no or maybe. Oh well, free tank anyways, thanks ya'll!

Keep the valve. The alum. is probly worth $1 a pound since its high grade alum. Let us know what you get for the recycled alum. price.

Just a clarification, but 6498 does not refer to an allow. It's a special permit number - one of which was combined into the 3AL standard.

That said, that permit used 6351-T6 alloy.

As scared silly indicates, it would have to be one of the less common S72, S100 or S80.8 sized tanks to be made before the cut off dates in 1987 and not be made from 6351-T6 alloy.

Even then, many shops use a 1991 cut off date rather than refer to the DOT circular, so any pre-1991 tank will be non fillable in those shops.

Back
Top Bottom