Question about dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of interest, did you research the decompression algorithms these computers run?

Yeah there was a post in here that had a lot of info in regards to the ones the companies use (or had a link to the post) and I also read more about them outside of here. Being a noob, I'm fine with conservative for now.

That was me, posts #11 and #63, was simply interested as to whether the deco algorithm played any roll in your decision making

That was me, posts #11 and #63, was simply interested as to whether the deco algorithm played any roll in your decision making
I would say it was more informative and informational then going too much into my decision making. I had no clue about any of that until this thread, and as a software engineer myself, it's interesting to just read about the different algorithms.

It didn't hurt though. As a beginner, I think I would prefer to have a more conservative computer for my first one and then maybe down the line if I get into more advanced diving and feel more comfortable, then if I decided to upgrade I could get one that is less conservative.

I don't think I'd get AI (at least not any time in the near future), but also coming with the accessories, including the USB cable which is like $80 for the Zoop alone, has me somewhat interested.

You can get a cheaper cable from Smartinterface – Your online shop for dive related accessories

While I'm very happy with my Zoop Novo I sometimes wish I had gone for something with AI. My air consumption is very high and I wonder if the more immediate feedback of having that data on my wrist would make for a tighter feedback loop.

Is this normal with dive computers or does this seem a bit odd to those of you with experience with dive computers?

Low battery after 1.5 years may be OK, esp. if it was a demo unit, and/or it sat on the shelf forever, or they played with it a lot topside, etc. They do have the clock running all the time so there is some drain... it might be pinging the non-existing AI transmitters, too, using up extra juice. I get low battery on our Leos every 2 years, with somewhat more dives than that though, so I'd say 1.5 years is not out of the question even if maybe a bit on the short side.

PS. The Fine Manual says 3 years w/ no diving, 1.5 years w/ <= 100 dives/yr, so it sounds kosher.

Cool thanks for that information.

And damn, the Mare Puck Pro is $129 today on Leisure Pro. Even though I like the Novo's better, it's tough to NOT just get a Puck Pro at such a cheap price for a first computer.

I am just wondering how much I would actually use the compass as well (if I ended up with a Vyper) considering like all of my diving will be on vacation in warm waters with dive operators.

And damn, the Mare Puck Pro is $129 today on Leisure Pro. Even though I like the Novo's better, it's tough to NOT just get a Puck Pro at such a cheap price for a first computer.

:D That's pretty much how I ended up with a Leonardo, and so far I have not had a good reason to upgrade. Despite the algorithm, lack of shiny!, and being not shearwater...

:D That's pretty much how I ended up with a Leonardo, and so far I have not had a good reason to upgrade. Despite the algorithm, lack of shiny!, and being not shearwater...
Yeah it's funny because pretty much the only reason I prefer the Novo over the others is the interface and screen. I wasn't a fan of the display on the Leonardo even though I know it had good reviews. It just wasn't something to my liking. I'm sure if I had it that it would work just fine, as would any of these lol. But I guess it's my software engineer coming out and just preferring certain UI's over others.

There is a second hand d4i with an AI transmitter being sold for £225 in the group ‘UK scuba stuff for sale’

Disclosure: I am not the one selling it and do not endorse this person, also this is a d4i and not a d4i Novo.

Catherine Bradley

Hello. Just got my ow certification. Looking to buy my first dive computer. Could someone explain what is usually the difference between a beginner dive computer and a mid ranged computer? More specifically, I wanted to know till what point can i use a beginner/budget computer before I need to upgrade. Can I safely use one till the 40m limit? Thanks

Congrats on joining the underwater world. Im new too. I would only say one thing. Ive already in my first year and a half upgraded EVERYTHING. I got a cheap zoop novo and its impossible to work with. hard to figure out etc. In my novice opinion get a very nice computer its your most important long term investment. Get an air integrated computer. that is easy to navigate around in and is EASY to read underwater usually multi color and expensive.

Buy equipment you will never need to upgrade. Unless you cant afford it then get what you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom