Question about dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn Amazon has quite a few different colors of the Puck Pro for $175 right now. That's like almost 1/2 price of the Suunto.

One button can be annoying if you dive nitrox and have to change the O2% on every tank. Otherwise, meh.

There any other big online retailers other than Leisure Pro that typically have Black Friday sales?

I'm going back/forth on the Mares Puck Pro and the Suunto Zoop Novo right now and a lot has to do with the Puck Pro being like 1/2 the price. it's on sale now for $160 but I like the look of the Zoop Novo a bit better and the 4 buttons looks more useful when having to make changes. Although then I wonder if I will really need to make a lot of changes once it's set to how I need it.

Don’t expect any unique Black Friday offers on current items from an authorized retailer on Mares or Suunto. They both have Minimum Advertised Pricing agreements. When they allow variances for limited times, they are allowed for all dealers equally. (Doesn’t mean all dealers HAVE to participate, or that small dealers are nimble enough to get it up on the web)

There any other big online retailers other than Leisure Pro that typically have Black Friday sales?

I'm going back/forth on the Mares Puck Pro and the Suunto Zoop Novo right now and a lot has to do with the Puck Pro being like 1/2 the price. it's on sale now for $160 but I like the look of the Zoop Novo a bit better and the 4 buttons looks more useful when having to make changes. Although then I wonder if I will really need to make a lot of changes once it's set to how I need it.

scuba.com and DRIS are doing blackfriday stuff. I'm sure others are as well.

Okay well if no Suunto Zoop Novo goes on sale then I'll just have to decide if the price difference is worth it to me. The only draw to me really is aesthetically I like the Zoop Novo more and the 4 buttons versus 1 seems better but in reality I have no clue if it will make much difference as I've never used a dive computer. I believe they both have a backlight too just in case I did night dives and while I like the layout of the display on the Zoop Novo more, the Puck Pro is also good to me. They both pretty much have all of the features that I'm looking for other than those things mentioned.

Okay well if no Suunto Zoop Novo goes on sale then I'll just have to decide if the price difference is worth it to me. The only draw to me really is aesthetically I like the Zoop Novo more and the 4 buttons versus 1 seems better but in reality I have no clue if it will make much difference as I've never used a dive computer. I believe they both have a backlight too just in case I did night dives and while I like the layout of the display on the Zoop Novo more, the Puck Pro is also good to me. They both pretty much have all of the features that I'm looking for other than those things mentioned.
It's a personal choice, but having rented a dive computer that was only one button, when I started shopping for a computer, having more than one button was a must have for me.

what does "No Deco" mean on the dive computers?

I believe you have seen a reference to 'NDL,' no decompression limits. Recreational diving (as opposed to technical diving) as it is taught in the mainstream in the U.S. generally doesn't cover planned decompression diving - diving where there are advised ('mandatory') pauses during ascent to reduce body nitrogen levels to keep a reasonably safe risk level. A 3 minute 15 foot safety stop may be recommended, but for whatever reason isn't considered a decompression stop.

The NDL is the maximum time limit remaining beyond which you will incur a deco obligation (ie.: a decompression stop will be recommended, perhaps more than one). Most mainstream recreational divers don't have technical training, from what I understand, and so aren't trained to a level where 'deco. diving' is recommended.

If you dive very deep, or multiple times in a day, or your gas consumption rate is very good, it may be NDL, rather than limited gas supply, that limits your dive duration.

I specified a U.S. perspective, which is what I have. Others can comment on other regions.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom