Question about re-entry when diving from an inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really cool divers will clip off their tank and weightbelt and then enter the boat by facing away from the hull, grabbing the poly-pro line that runs along the hull and performing a backward flip such that their feet go up over their head and into the boat. Its one smooth, quick move that takes you from in the water to kneeling in the boat looking out in just a second or two. Might be quite possible wearing a tropical rig, e.g. no weightbelt and smallish cylinder. I'm sure Dirk Pitt could pull it off.:D

sambolino44:
Chuck Norris could do it.
Naw ... Norris is afraid of the water.

Mike could do it. N

seahunt.jpg

Fer sure Mike could do it, but the MOF might screw him up.

I bought this boat about 84. Trust me, I can shimmy my way in without a ladder in full gear but it is easier to take the gear off in the water. If you look close you see a handle on the inner side of the tubes. You can reach in and grab that handle to assist reboarding. Besides, it is rough on the hypolon to shimmy over the sides with all that gear on.

DSCF0469.jpg

No, I have found that having the mask on the forehead allows for easier re-entry due to the coolness factor alone, chicks dig a MOF guy, just ask Mike.

The boat is being refitted, varnished and repaired here.

N

It's possible, but not easy. The climbing maneuver used is called a mantle. While holding onto the grab lines/handles, you push yourself down into the water, using the bouyancy of being submerged for momentum, as you break the surface your hands are moved palm down on the top of the tube with your fingers pointing at each other and your elbows out, leaning forward to get your weight over your palms you now begin to push downward while bringing your elbows together. Correctly performed, you are now at a lockoff with your waist at the height of the tube tops. Now, lean/fall forward into the boat on your face, or leaning to one side lift a knee up and over the tube. It's not an easy move, but one very doable by a reasonably fit person.

fweber:
It's possible, but not easy. The climbing maneuver used is called a mantle. While holding onto the grab lines/handles, you push yourself down into the water, using the bouyancy of being submerged for momentum, as you break the surface your hands are moved palm down on the top of the tube with your fingers pointing at each other and your elbows out, leaning forward to get your weight over your palms you now begin to push downward while bringing your elbows together. Correctly performed, you are now at a lockoff with your waist at the height of the tube tops. Now, lean/fall forward into the boat on your face, or leaning to one side lift a knee up and over the tube. It's not an easy move, but one very doable by a reasonably fit person.
That's doable, but the "backflip" I described earlier is much faster and leaves you upright, ready to go instead of lying like a heap in the bottom of the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom