Question about rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not got loads of time to answer this one, but:
Management of an unconscious diver is a requirement for a tech pass at fundies.
Students are required to perform at a level 4 to achieve a tech pass
The level 4 performance is relevant to a fundies class. The scale changes as you go further through the curriculum.

I'm reality the instructors know what a Tech pass or Rec pass looks like. If you look like a Tech pass, then you get a tech pass.

I'll try and look in again, but I'm crazy busy at the moment.

Thanks
John

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 12:37 PM ----------

Oh, and stepping on fins? Nah.

Thanks for stepping in to answer, John.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 09:47 AM ----------

Stepping on flippers? Nah dawg. Get behind them, open suit valve, dump YOUR wing, and inflate/ride their wing to the surface. Reason? If you lose them, at least their trajectory is up and not down deeper. You're in a position to regain positive buoyancy and go get em.

Purging the reg isn't going to be helpful. Holding the reg in place is helpful though.

^^^ This

I actually lost top position during this skill during Cave 2 class and we both went vertical (I did not have my arm locked under the right post side). I did not lose the diver, but I did have to do as AJ said and regain my positive buoyancy. From that point we were in open water about 10' from the surface so we came up vertical; however, I was able to control speed.

Jarrod actually mentioned that when we surfaced. Something along the lines of "Well, it wasn't correct, but you did not lose the diver and you maintained a safe speed.....now, let's do it again." LOL. So back we went and I managed to perform the skill fine on the next try.

I was told an updated version of all documents is due next week.

and if your instructor has insisted that you remove the 7 pound v-weight you carefully determined that you NEED with your setup,
A8dC64zl.jpg

And those folks need to pull the central line out... If GUE instructors weren't human there'd be no need for a QC system. Just sayin'

(For context, this comment is brought to you by a GUE cave2/tech2 proponent of the system who is still sending people towards fundies... But I don't believe GUE instructors are infallible either)

i know a lot of people who's heads would explode if you told them that

Good day to all of you,

Rescue is a mandatory skill for a GUE Fundamentals tech pass.

There is no reason to try and replace regulator in victim's mouth - hard to open jaws, close to impossible to clear the water without pushing some of it down the airways, possible to create lung over expansion injury.

Deco or not will be the personal decision - but as AJ said you have to consider changes of survival of a victim vs chances of you getting seriously bend. That is why presence of support divers on any significant dives is crucial.

Hope this helps,
Best Regards
Kirill A. Egorov
GUE Assistant Training Director

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom