Question about rinsing the reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"As a side note I try to avoid rinsing my regs in community rinse tanks on the dock. There are lots of wet suits soaking in those tanks and you do remember what divers do in their wet suits???? I'd don't think I'd like to get any of that water on something I'm going to put in my mouth <grin>"[/QUOTE]

I never thought about that. I wish I had'nt.

Can anyone see if there's anything missing on this dust cap on a sp MK25? I'm wondering now if it's one of those plastic caps with a "missing o-ring" that DA Aqua mentioned.....The rubber outer lip seals but i don't think it does as good a job as those in other regs that have a solid rubber flat surface at the bottom instead of the plastic surrounded by rubber as seen in the attached photos.
Its all there and does not use an o-ring. As long as it is completely sealing the reg it should be fine.

As someone noted above, be sure you wipe any water out of the inside before you put it on or any water inside the cap could get inside the reg. The older flatter profiled caps found on the Mk 10's were nicer as they were easier to wipe off and were reversible.

The newer style can be used on a DIN fitting by removing the grey inner liner. However they do not seal all that well on a DIN reg. With a DIN reg you want a screw on cap that will allow the o-ring on the reg's DIN fitting seal against the bottom of the cap.

That is a standard Scuba Pro dust cap of recent vintage. That dust cap is complete - no o-ring on those. BTW - the grey part is removable to convert the dust cap to a DIN compatible cap.

I take it the cap can be replaced by the type with a flat surface? I think those would have a better seal than this one.

Look for solid rubber (or similar material) dust cap that has few nicks and crannies to trap water and is easily dried.

As a side note I try to avoid rinsing my regs in community rinse tanks on the dock. There are lots of wet suits soaking in those tanks and you do remember what divers do in their wet suits???? I'd don't think I'd like to get any of that water on something I'm going to put in my mouth <grin>

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Gross.:11:

As a professional regulator service technician, I have a couple of additions:

2. After rinsing out your BC, store it with the bladder inflated fairly fully. This will allow residual moisture in the bladder to evaporate and will keep the insides of the bladder from making contact with each other and possibly sticking together once they've dried out.

And where does the vapor go?

Pete
Shame on you&#8230;how do you dare question &#8220;a professional regulator service technician&#8221;? :rofl3:

Just kidding...

I take it the cap can be replaced by the type with a flat surface? I think those would have a better seal than this one.
I've been using SP MK25/S600 for quite a while.
don't recommend that you modify it in any way.
the very same dust cap like yours is within service for 3 years now with no problems at all.
If you feel unsure the is some rubber dust caps (Mares??)with a perfect ball shape that seals with 0.0% tolerance; yet they're prone to slipping - your choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom