Question about rinsing the reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And where does the vapor go?

Damfino, but that's not a big deal to me. After all, it's not that the inside of a BC bladder is humidity-controlled...

I used the plastic dust cap and found that it was like a tiny juice glass that put a bit of salt water back into the first stage. It was noticed on the filter. We used to have a caps that were like a rubber ball. Where can I get one?

Damfino, but that's not a big deal to me. After all, it's not that the inside of a BC bladder is humidity-controlled...

Apparently, and let me quote you again.

"2. After rinsing out your BC, store it with the bladder inflated fairly fully. This will allow residual moisture in the bladder to evaporate and will keep the insides of the bladder from making contact with each other and possibly sticking together once they've dried out."

A BC hanging and inflated and inflated is closed environment. Whatever moisture remains after rinsing is not going anywhere in the near term at least. My only issue is your use us the term evaporate (the conversion to vapor). Even on the internet the laws of physics apply. Words do mean things.

Pete

Well, even if he was off on the evaporation bit, he is right that it's not a bad idea to store a BC partially inflated. I never thought about it too much, but one way to dry it out after rinsing would be to fill it with scuba air, shake, empty, repeat, etc.. as the dry scuba air would tend to absorb moisture for inside the bladder. How much absorption or how many times filling would be needed to really dry it out I have no idea about.

hmmm it 'evaporates' into a puddle at the lowest point of the bc, to be dumped later. lol, atleast it does in my bcs lol

A BC hanging and inflated and inflated is closed environment. Whatever moisture remains after rinsing is not going anywhere in the near term at least. My only issue is your use us the term evaporate (the conversion to vapor). Even on the internet the laws of physics apply. Words do mean things.

Pete

I said "evaporate". I did not say "dissipate". It's as simple as that. Who knows--maybe if you go diving in cold water the humidity inside the bladder will condense (the conversion of vapor to liquid) and you've wasted all this effort. Then you can do it all over again when you store your BC again.

And to think that all this time I was under the impression that the laws of physics didn't apply in cyberspace...

hmmm it 'evaporates' into a puddle at the lowest point of the bc, to be dumped later. lol, atleast it does in my bcs lol

That is condensation

You didn't say what brand of regulator you have.

Atomic doesn't recommend soaking the first stage on their regulators. A good rinse does the trick.

...dust cap seals off this part so there isn't any reason to hesitate submerging it

Ever wonder why it's called a "dust-cap" and not a "submerge-in-water-cap"?

:11:

But seriously, as others have pointed out the surest way to keep water out is to have the reg connected to a tank with the valve open. I think this is especially true for yoke-style regs which have no o-ring sealing off the first stage when it's not on a tank.

I have DIN regs and with the delrin screw-on cap screwed all the way on at least I know there's something really sealing it off. Though, a careless depression of the purge button in this situation could be a problem.

You didn't say what brand of regulator you have.

Well, it's listed in my profile - I have two regs: Scubapro MK25 DIN and Scubapro MK2 Int. (yoke) version. So, I take it I'm fine submerging them, soaking them while cleaning?

And yes, of course the dust cap is where it should be during the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom