Question about the K-style Power Inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I have Oxycheq wings with the "new" type, K-style power inflator valve. Ergonomically, I find these to be difficult to use, especially if I am trying to orally inflate my wing, because the mouthpiece is angled away from me. I have the shorter 12" corrugated 1" hose and this makes it even more awkward. Does anyone else have the same concerns with this power inflator?

I was told that the reason for this K-style design was to minimize drag while swimming: Is this true?

I want to replace these power inflators and I would like your recommendations.

Eliminating drag.... LOL

I'm sorry but any kind of "drag" argument is a total crock of sht.

Ordinarily, and I would expect nothing else in this case, these things are "patent" related. The inflator has to be "different" than the other guys' so you can argue in a court that it has some kind of (real or dreamed-up) added value.

As for inflators. The Seaquest inflator like this one is, in my opinion, the best inflator on the market. They're pretty much bullet proof, virtually maintenance free and ergonomically perfect.

powerline.jpg

R..

I was told that the reason for this K-style design was to minimize drag while swimming: Is this true?

Yeah drag lol

But really, how often are you orally inflating?

I disagree about patent since most inflators seem to be made by the same 2-3 manufacturers (or to the same K or T designs anyway)

Couldn't you rotate it 180 degrees?

The K-style power inflaters work well for me. The design is simple, robust, and user-serviceable. In terms of design, however, I don't think they are any better or worse than the mouthpiece that faces perpendicularly to the power inflater.

Your complaint is that the mouthpiece actually faces away from you when you bring the inflater to your mouth. Hmmm. I have to agree with Tortuga68 on this: Rotate the mouthpiece 180 degrees. It sounds like the power inflater was installed incorrectly on your corrugated hose. Due to the short length of the corrugated hose, I can see why you are having issues.

Could you please take a picture of your setup? Fixing it would probably take no longer than a few minutes and a couple of zipties. Since the 12" corrugated hose is not the stock configuration for the Oxycheq wings, it's possible that whoever switched things out for you did it incorrectly.

Hope this helps...

It sounds like the power inflater was installed incorrectly on your corrugated hose. Due to the short length of the corrugated hose, I can see why you are having issues.

Hi Bubbletrubble,

Sorry, I was not being very precise. I believe the inflator is installed correctly.

When wearing my rig with the inflator assembly draped over my left shoulder, the K-style inflator mouthpiece is aimed (more or less) at my navel, (whereas a T-style inflator mouthpiece would be aimed at the center of my chest). This means that when you try to orally inflate the wing, you must bend the assembly 90 degrees around toward your face, and then bend it an additional 45 degrees to put the mouthpiece in your mouth. This is very awkward with the 16" corrugated hose, and even more difficult with the shorter 12" corrugated 1" hose.

I like the Scubapro power inflator but I believe the mouthpieces are quite similar. I prefer the button arrangement on the Scubapro inflator with the manual button on the face rather than the end. In either case, with a short corrugated hose, I usually operate the inflator by just fitting it into the left side of my mouth rather than centered which requires more hose bending.

OK. I was wrong. Your inflater is installed properly.

How are you retaining the corrugated hose/inflater hose to your harness? Perhaps placing only the inflater hose through a bungee loop (attached at your left chest D-ring) or some bicycle tubing (mounted on the harness above the left chest D-ring) would allow adequate travel of the power inflater assembly to your mouth. Some people place the entire corrugated hose through the bungee loop and this can make inflating by mouth difficult. Just thinking out loud here.

Another thing to check is that the distance between the top of the wing and your mouth will be increased if you have the shoulder straps too loose.

I just measured the corrugated hose on my Halcyon wing. It is 12 inches long in its normal/unstretched state. The corrugated hose is just long enough so that I can comfortably inflate it by mouth (placing the mouthpiece in the left side of my mouth)...there really isn't any extra slack.

But really, how often are you orally inflating?

Actually, it was three days ago. Last Thursday when we geared up, my wife had a leaking LP inflator hose (brand new from Oxycheq, BTW, and free so no replacement!). I took the hose off my unit and put it on hers, and plugged the LP port on my regulator. My plan was to orally inflate my wing. At 75 feet, in 52-degree water, with a 7-mil hooded wetsuit and gloves on, the shortcomings of this K-style valve were apparent.

I require my stuff to be well-designed, ergonomic, robust, and functional. If it's not, I replace it. If I'm not going to use it, I don't take it.

How are you retaining the corrugated hose/inflater hose to your harness? The corrugated hose is just long enough so that I can comfortably inflate it by mouth (placing the mouthpiece in the left side of my mouth)...there really isn't any extra slack.

I have used a 1" long piece of innertube around the harness, but I now use a large O-ring fitted just above the left shoulder D-ring.

I want my inflator to be useable because oral inflation is a good capability to have, and because the oral inflator can also be used as an emergency air source.

Last edited:
Eliminating drag.... LOL

I'm sorry but any kind of "drag" argument is a total crock of sht.

Ordinarily, and I would expect nothing else in this case, these things are "patent" related. The inflator has to be "different" than the other guys' so you can argue in a court that it has some kind of (real or dreamed-up) added value.

As for inflators. The Seaquest inflator like this one is, in my opinion, the best inflator on the market. They're pretty much bullet proof, virtually maintenance free and ergonomically perfect.

powerline.jpg

R..

Oh, I agree it's a crock.

The SeaQuest unit looks like what I want, with the buttons in a comfortable place and the mouthpiece facing the fight way. I am not sure the Seaquest assembly would fit on my Oxycheck wing - I think the threads are different.

Oh, I agree it's a crock.

The SeaQuest unit looks like what I want, with the buttons in a comfortable place and the mouthpiece facing the fight way. I am not sure the Seaquest assembly would fit on my Oxycheck wing - I think the threads are different.
I wouldn't recommend getting the Seaquest power inflater assembly. It features a pull dump at the point of attachment between corrugated hose and wing. The pull dump is actuated by a steel cable that travels inside the corrugated hose between the pull dump and power inflater. Completely unnecessary IMO. I suppose you could choose not to attach the steel cable. If you look at the exploded parts diagram for the Seaquest Powerline inflater, you'll note that the design has a lot of extra little parts which would complicate DIY repair. The corrugated hose is non-standard as well. That being said, I've found the Powerline inflaters to be reliable. It just annoys me that Aqualung doesn't make this a user-serviceable item.

Why not just get a simple, generic L-type power inflater? It costs $25 at Northeastscubasupply.com. It's very easy to overhaul these power inflaters. Oxycheq makes an excellent tool for helping one do the overhaul. This tool includes a nifty piece that helps breakdown tank valves as well.

Mike, PM me if you're interested in selling one of your used K-style power inflaters. I've been considering getting a backup for my save-a-dive kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom