Question about the mode control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roswin

Reaction score
I have a PT-014 and I notoced today that the mode control button ( the one it's turning around to change the different modes in the camera) can freely go up and down. I put the camera in the case and I had to push the button quite a bit to allowed the plastic round into the case to cath up the camera and change the modes. It's the first time I noticed it. I put the case in water and it doesn't fload. Is it normal?

That's normal. You are supposed to raise the knob to get the camera in the housing, them lower it into place. Always make sure the controls are working.

I wish the PT-15 dial raised more than it does.

As always thank you Dee. I was quite worried since I never noticed before and sometimes when I turn the button now It doesn't cath well the weel of the camera mode and I have to push a little more. Still normal?

Yes. You have to be really careful when putting the cameras into the PT-XX housings. They are such a tight fit..which is a good thing...but it doesn't leave much 'wiggle room'. Just make sure your camera is seated well, in place and that the dial thingy fits well over the dial on the camera so the controls work properly. I lost quite a few photo opportunities recently by not being very careful of the placement. That's why I now always test all the controls after closing the housing, before I get in the water!

If I pull, the control mode can still go up a bit while the camera is inside and eventually loose the catch with the cmaera. Actually the only thing which keep the knob in place is the plastic plate into the case. Last time, normal?

P.S: I arrange the my problem with the food grade silicon. Many thanks. Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Still normal! That plactic plate is supposed to keep it in place. and you shouldn't ever pull it up during a dive, only when ading ot removing the camera from the housing.

The only stupid questions are those not asked! :D

The PT-015s mode dial knob (for the C5050) is, judging from roswin's post, slightly different to that of the PT-014. The knob of the PT-015 is spring loaded and falls back into place after you release it. The knob for the PT-014 seems to be similar to that of the PT-020 (C5060) and is not spring loaded. So after you lift it up you need to push it back down and engage knob wheel with the mode dial. Once it's seated properly it's probably not a good idea to lift it or wiggle it underwater... :eyebrow:

The PT-015 seems to rely somewhat on the mode control to position the camera in the housing. It is very easy to have the camera slightly misaligned & still engage the mode control. This torques the small shaft of the control (its centerline does not coincide exactly with that of the outer on/off toggle shaft). I strongly believe that this is a partial cause of the mode control weepage/leak problem. There is a design flaw here. When you put the camera in the housing, turn in on & check the lens alignment with the lens port. The lens & port should be concentric. Its been taking me 3-4 trys to get it close.

I know...it's like the mode dial on the C-4040. No spring....you have to manually lift then press it into place when you load the camera. I wish the PT-15 did NOT have the spring. It makes it very hard to get the camera into position without straining the spring and lever. I wonder if that might not have at least a little something to do with the leaks that have been reported?

Back
Top Bottom