Question for all female divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was a kid, my mom learned to scuba while we were stationed in Guam. I was too young and always had to sit on the beach and watch her. I've always loved and respected the water. I'm the happiest when i'm around it. But life happened. A few years ago I realized that since my two eldest boys were "grown" (are they ever really?), and the youngest starting to spread his wings, I found myself spending more and more time looking for something to do with my extra time. So in 2008 I decided to learn to dive. My middle son was certifed along with me. Plans were for him to be my divebuddy. well, he also had a life so I began having to find others to dive with. That's where scubaboard came in. I've met a wonderful group of people thru this board. I am hooked on diving, it consumes me and I love it!

I've been avoiding the local (cold, low vis) dives but want to work on my skills and just love it when I am down there. Need to suck it up and just get in there and work on my skills regardless. Like you said storm diver, train in the tough conditions so the desirable is easy.

I'm only diving since about half a year, but have been diving the first time in Australia in 2005 (Great Barrier Reef) and since then always wanted to get certified but just didn't manage to as I have been studying at university.
I'm sure it will be one of my favourite hobbies in the next years, it's just such a great feeling to be under water... Can't wait till next time! :D

I have been diving for a year. Grew up in the water. Went to a firehall fundraiser out in the middle of northern CA one Sunday afternoon, met a woman there who had just returned from a dive trip. Told my husband I was learning how to dive. Not sure who I was calling but every year for five years I would call in spring and be told the classes were finished for the year, that I had just missed them. So.....I went to the dive shop in December and signed up for their first class for the next year. I was told, "You're a little early." Better early than late I learned. :)
Have been to the FL Keys twice and headed to Curacau in four weeks. Lovin' it soooooo much.

Not sure why all those years I got the too late thing would have loved to have been in the water for all those years. I live by the belief that things happen for a reason. Haven't figured out why it was delayed for five years but taking each opportunity presented each day.

I've been avoiding the local (cold, low vis) dives but want to work on my skills and just love it when I am down there. Need to suck it up and just get in there and work on my skills regardless. Like you said storm diver, train in the tough conditions so the desirable is easy.

If you can find the proper exposure protection, it makes it much more tolerable, to a point,.... even enjoyable. I know many that dive thick wetsuits,... I personally prefer a drysuit, but sometimes you have to do, what you have to do. To pretty much have the dive site (for me a quarry) to yourself for you & your buddy, is kinda cool (OK.... cold:D). The water even tends to be much clearer- not so many people stirring it up & the algae blooms are killed off. At least there usually isn't a thermocline,..... well, maybe 1...... it may actually be warmer at depth (by a couple degrees).

I'd like to know when and how you started scuba diving.
How long have you done?
When did you get the license?
Why did you get interested in this activity?

I got certified in college in 1983 so I could take a Reef Ecology class (which included two weeks in the Bahamas:D) as part of my Biology/Marine Science majors. No really :rofl3: MOM and DAD I HAVE to get certified :crafty:and this is a "required" course for my major... :rofl3: OW Class was in Jacksonville, FL w/ check out dives in the North FL springs (Ginnie & Ichetuknee) followed by the Bahamas the following month.
Was a vacation diver after that for a couple decades, then got re-interested again in 2004 (yes because of a man) and started working in the industry. Became an instructor in 2005. Dumped the man, kept the adventure. I've had the priveledge of living and working in some awesome places since then. Little did my folks know that I'd eventually be earning a living from the inspiration of that one college course. :D

i'm with sam, sb is a great place to meet folks.

since then, i've started doubles, finished full cave, advanced nitrox & deco procedures, started diving dry, started sidemounting, and found the dive buddy i want to keep forever (da aquamaster). diving has been very, very good to me. :D and a whole lot of fun!

Like Marci, I've met some incredible folks on Scubaboard that have kept diving fresh and fun for me. They've inspired me to continue improving my skills and exploring more advanced gear (doubles/drysuits, etc.) and more training. (Even if you love something, if you do it for a paycheck it gets routine even stale and becomes a four-letter word.. W O R K :shakehead:).
And through Scubaboard I too found a dive buddy I want to keep forever.:hugs:
+1 "Diving has been very,very good to me."

What little girl didn't want to be a mermaid? :)

Got certified last year at the age of 27 but wish I had done it sooner. I never plan on stopping :)

i first started diving in college--i was a marine bio major who grew up in Virginia Beach--just seemed like a good idea to learn how to dive :wink: once i started i couldnt stop!! even though my first dives were in a quarry in PA, i was addicted!! that was 1997 and somewhere in all that someone said, "i think you shold be a dive leader" and here i am, an open water instructor for SSI...diving is one of the best things in my life...i dont really think i could live without it!!! :D

Good question ~ great responses!

How long have you done? 10 years
When did you get the license? Sept 2001.
Why did you get interested in this activity? Always been interested, grew up around the ocean, always wanted to know what was 'down there'. Glued to the TV when Jacque Cousteau or any underwater program was on. Started college as a bio major with an eye toward marine bio (until organic chemistry ruined that idea). Never thought I could swim well enough, or manage the technical aspects. Never had enough money. Then in 2000 I got tossed around and beat up on a snorkel trip in St. Thomas while a group of diver were below. Watching and later meeting them convinced me they had a far better time, if they could dive, I surely could and diving (recreational) is not rocket science. I signed up when I got home.

I was not the most natural diver. I was older, out of shape. Gear and task management did not come easy, my first dive buddy was unsafe at any depth (even the pool) but over time, more dives, practice and a great new dive buddy I've come to love it. I only wish I would have started when I was younger...

Back
Top Bottom