Question for those that still use film..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus:
RonFrank, when you mention over exposing 200 speed film, are you suggesting having it processed normally or with push/pull?

p.s. I'm a land & velvia slide guy so far. Still need to get a housing, or convince myself to go digital

I know you directed this to Ron Frank but I'm here so...

Never push/pull color neg film. Process normally.

By shooting 200 ISO at 100 you are over-exposing the film in the camera.

What are "distance" shots? For anything beyond 4-5 feet (1.5 meters) you won't be able to illuminate the subject with your strobe. Remember the first rule, get close. The only exception would be silhouettes without strobe.

I like Fuji Superia 100. It has fine grain and is contrasty, which makes it good for underwater photography. 400 speed has fine grain too, but usually less color saturation. It still comes down to light- water acts as a filter so you still need to get close. For reef scenics, get a wide angle lens if you don't have one. Check eBay for deals.

Myself, I use 100 speed slide film. You can learn how to measure ambient light and then add strobe for fill. If the shot is important I bracket 3 exposures. I'd rather have 12 really great photos than 36 okay ones.

hello all , I got seen this post , I wanna ask a fast question also, i am going at end of january, I wanna get a camra , not throw away this time , either a film !ST time or i seen a ditgital for $250 with a light 2.1 pix.. for 1 st should i get a film ? need feed back , thanks

That's a tough question, Fin. My suggestion is that you take a close look at some of the other discussions within the photo forum here. Maybe you'll get some ideas from previous discussion. OR, start a thread and ask for suggestions based on what you want to do.

Sea ya!

M_Bipartitus:
RonFrank, when you mention over exposing 200 speed film, are you suggesting having it processed normally or with push/pull?

p.s. I'm a land & velvia slide guy so far. Still need to get a housing, or convince myself to go digital

I suggested using 200 speed negative film, and rating it at ISO100. That is just overexposure of 1 stop, and a LOT of pros overexpose neg file, by 2/3 to a stop as it increases saturation. To go a step further, measure most film camera's exposure settings, and you find that the manufactures build in overexposure in amateur cameras with the assumption that they will shoot Kodak Gold, or some such similar film.

So I'm not suggesting push or pull in this case, but just rating ISO 200 film at ISO 100.

Sasquatch:
I know you directed this to Ron Frank but I'm here so...

Never push/pull color neg film. Process normally.

By shooting 200 ISO at 100 you are over-exposing the film in the camera.

Pushing (less so Pulling) is a rather common practice, and one that has worked for a LOT or professionals and advanced shooters. While this practice is NOT necessarily the ideal way to shoot a lot of situations, it certainly is an effective way to deal with film limitations. It also introduces contrast that some artists are after, and they intentionally pushed film for the effect.

To suggest that the film artist in this day should NEVER push or Pull, is rather pointless. While this is NOT what I was suggesting (did you READ my post?) in this case, YOUR suggestion is like saying NEVER use gold polorizers. Those that understand the results will use them without your input, and those that do not will likely not understand what the heck you are talking about.

But to be Clear, I'd recommend push/pull process to ANYONE who is into film, and into photography. To say it's something that should not be done is to say that creativity is limited.

Hmmmm.

Pretty passionate response but I DID read your fine post.

Since Fire Diver sounded like someone fairly new to photography as it applies to film speed, over/under exposure and print vs. slide film I was merely trying to keep the tips simple and, therefore, useful.

Pushing/pulling the development times on color neg film (C41) is usually only desireable in an emergency or if, as you pointed out, one is a photographer looking for a special effect.

It is much more common to push/pull B&W film and slide film. Since this thread was started by a diver interested in whether the use of 100 or 400 speed print film would be better to use in his situation I thought my answers were more than adequate.

The poster asked what time it was, not how to build a clock...

Sea ya!

I never suggested push/pull processing. I just suggested rating ISO 200 film at ISO 100. There is a rather HUGE difference in rathing a film other than the ISO vs. Pushing the process. I assume you understand, but at this point I'm really not sure.

Of course my response is passonate, I rather DIG photograpy, and am a passionate dude :2ar15smil however I think you may not understand the difference between push/pull processing, and simply rating a film. Did I SUGGEST that he take the film to a lab, and tell them to push it? No.... :whack:

Do YOU understand the difference.... at this point I'll make it easy, of couse you do, and obviously you are confused. If I somehow SUGGESTED processing options in my original response I apologize. :banghead:

I just start shooting underwater, my first roll of film was Kodak Max 400. But I'm going to use Fuji asa 100 next time, just cause the color on fuji film is better and its a easy film to get and its a less grainy. But what do I know I just learning myself!

RonFrank:
I never suggested push/pull processing. I just suggested rating ISO 200 film at ISO 100. There is a rather HUGE difference in rathing a film other than the ISO vs. Pushing the process. I assume you understand, but at this point I'm really not sure.

Of course my response is passonate, I rather DIG photograpy, and am a passionate dude :2ar15smil however I think you may not understand the difference between push/pull processing, and simply rating a film. Did I SUGGEST that he take the film to a lab, and tell them to push it? No.... :whack:

Do YOU understand the difference.... at this point I'll make it easy, of couse you do, and obviously you are confused. If I somehow SUGGESTED processing options in my original response I apologize. :banghead:

OK. Let's just get this clear. I never said that you suggested push/pull anything. I said it's not generally done. You took issue with my use of the term "never". You are right, "Never say never".

I meant, again, push/pull C41 is a photo NO NO with the exeptions I mentioned in an earlier post inspired by your observation that some shooters do it sometimes.

No, I'm not confused. For a moment I thought I might have mis-read a post but after review, no, no confusion on my end.

You get passionate and borderline insulting while dicussing the fine (nearly off-topic) subject of rating film to get a little overexposure. How do you react when somebody cuts you off in traffic?

I'll make it easy: That last was a rhetorical question.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom