QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO USE A BP/W WITHOUT AN STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm looking at the DR SS backplate and Voyager XT as an option, and I wanted to consider a STA as a weight caddy, how deep relatively speaking is the channel in the DR backplate and how much would a STA push the tank back? I assume my center of gravity would shift a little walking with the kit on but in the water would I even notice? As a weird question, I have a shorter neck and if I tilt my head back I often hit the top of the tank, so I typically shift the tank down a little in the cam straps pre-dive. If I use the STA, would that likely make that unnecessary?

If I'm looking at the DR SS backplate and Voyager XT as an option, and I wanted to consider a STA as a weight caddy, how deep relatively speaking is the channel in the DR backplate and how much would a STA push the tank back? I assume my center of gravity would shift a little walking with the kit on but in the water would I even notice? As a weird question, I have a shorter neck and if I tilt my head back I often hit the top of the tank, so I typically shift the tank down a little in the cam straps pre-dive. If I use the STA, would that likely make that unnecessary?
You won't notice. An STA adds like 5mm between the plate and the tank

I dive a DR Stainless backplate with a Voyager XT wing. I also have an STA that I have never used as I never found it necessary.

The depth of the channel in the backplate makes no difference with regards to the STA as the channel is on the aspect that is against one's back...the STA bolts to the spine of the plate.

How far the STA would push the tank back depends more on the design of the specific STA you purchase and the diameter of the tank you are using with it. Some tank/STA combos will have the tank cradeled deeper in the STA than other combos.

You don't necessarily need the STA as a weight caddy. You can ziptie weights to the plate to place them strategically where you need them, and/or you can mount trim pockets on the tank bands or the harness shoulder straps.

Whether the STA will or won't make shifting the tank down so you don't hit your head is again a function of the combination of STA and tank you will use. Compare how a tank would fit on the following two STAs for instance:

eWeI8VaK64G4fDKZMKeqhR-Ee2KjYuFLW6GPiTjkFXiozbxXiEn5F3cY_cVngL5DGxoPy2jvsPRD1v70y1aJoKmCDJK5vNx4.jpg

hollissta2.png

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom