Question from a not yet cave diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris,you are probably right about that not being a cavern dive at that point you described,but sometimes in the effort to fight flow and keeping our head down while we barrel straight ahead,we can enter the over head and not realize it. Most people enter Manatee at Catfish hotel because of the strong flow at this point,but there is a secret to entering the cave/cavern from the head spring which takes you out of the flow. Good luck on a class.

I'm going to semi-answer your question about Manatee & entering against the flow. Cavern/Cave training develops a high level of diving efficiency....forcing your way against flow isn't efficient, so you can conclude that we would not typically "fight" our way in...

I sense that you have been bitten by the cave bug....get thyself into a Cavern course. You'll have a great time and probably figure out the answer to your question (and your instructor will tell you if you ask!).

Kelly

Yes the bug has bitten and the infection is spreading to my bank account as my purchases are geared toward my future type of diving. EANDIVER takes his cavern and intro to cave this upcoming weekend. He is very excited about his instructor, so if the instructor is what he is expecting, I may be in my cavern course in the next month or so.

Until then I'm more than happy with Ginnie.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey , once you finish your cavern/Intro courses and you ever need a buddy , look me up ...
I'll be GLAD to go with ya ...

Thanks!
Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

P.S. I like LOW-FLOW as well ... :D :D :D

Nic160:
How to get into high flow. Lasso one of those guys with a high powered scooter and hold on.

That's been my technique :) If you do it just right, you can snag their isolation valve on their manifold and ride 'em like a towboat. Hehehehehe.

Omicron:
That's been my technique :) If you do it just right, you can snag their isolation valve on their manifold and ride 'em like a towboat. Hehehehehe.

I knew that isolator was good for something other than arguments sake !!!!:lol:

Grotto is a rip off now.....

I've never been to Blue Grotto, but the Ginnie Ballroom isn't really much of an overhead. Yeah, you are technically in an overhead but it's not really that bad. Trying to swim into that flow down by the grate is a pretty good approximation of good flow in some of the caves.

I've made some very interesting entrances/exits into and out of really high flow caves. One in Missouri you used every available appendage to cram yourself in between the ceiling and the floor of the mouth of the cave to creep in. Legs splayed out behind you on the roof, arms wrapped around a boulder, head wedged in a crack in the ceiling...you eventually learn how to work with the flow instead of brute forcing in. You "sneak" your way into the cave and learn to find the path of least resistance. My entrance into this one in Missouri got easier every time I did it.

On one exit we pretty much just tried to drag our hands against the rock wall as we got flung out of the cave... my friend came zipping out with a big rock in his hands he was holding onto, and I blew a fin off and had my mask sideways.

All caves aren't that bad, but sometimes you gotta improvise, and it ain't always graceful :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom