Question from Texas – Destin Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHunt

Reaction score
I will be in Destin in the near future, late July/early August and would like to get in a couple days of diving. So what I’d like ask the Conch Divers is:

1) Is it worth my time to book 2 days of diving off Destin?

If So,

2) Have you used this dive op? If so, a quick review of the good, bad, and ugly would be helpful.

http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/index.html

3) Can you provide other good/great Destin area (within 1 hour drive) dive op connections?

4) Looking for other helpful hints: based on this time of the year, where should I insist on going, and what should I insist on seeing, also local points of interest and customs, night life, etc…

Hey, we might even Hook’em up with a few of you while we’re hanging around town.

Thanks in advance, and I’ll be checking back often for your feedback.

Jim
(NDI - Texas Swamp Diving Team)

I live here, have my own boat (see my avatar for a pic), dive a lot, and know the local shops.

Scubatech is a credible operation. They run a boat called the Sea Cobra. It is a converted head boat and some would call it a "cattle boat" since it will hold a bunch of people.

They dive sites within ~8 miles of the pass, most of which are reasonable dives, but all "on schedule." Their trips tend to be 4 hours, half-day, $50 or so for two dives, figure 20-25 minutes each with a 1 hour SI between. Where they go depends on local conditions on any given day. I've been on their boat and they did my original cert. In the summer, with enough demand, they will also do a single night dive. They DO expect you to have real open water experience or they will insist you hire a DM for the trip at significant extra cost - probably good on their part, as most of the sites they dive are in the 80' range for the first, and 60-70' for the second of the trip, and as such they're considered "advanced". Than again most diving in Destin is! The shop banks EANx32 and Air, and if Steve is there you can get custom EANx mixes provided they're not too insanely busy.

I know the folks who run the place reasonably well, and if this is the kind of diving you're looking for, they're a good choice.

Emerald Coast Scuba (ECS) runs charters as well. They are a BIT looser with their schedule, tend to plan more ahead (that is, they don't do the "two runs every day" thing), do some longer offshore trips (more expensive though) and their boat holds fewer people. I have not dove with them, but I DO see their boat out on the water quite a bit. The people there are nice and I've never heard anyone say bad things about them - but no direct experience to back it up on my part. As of my last contact with them a few months ago they continuous blended and filled straight from the compressor - no banks. They said they were going to be installing them, however, and were planning a major expansion. No idea how far along any of that is.

There are two other local shops that I'm aware of; one is more local-oriented and doesn't run much in the way of charters that I've heard if any at all, although he (Chuck's) does have a decent selection of gear and such and also has a Nitrox membrane system, and I know next to nothing about the 4th operation - been in there a couple of times, but that's it.

There are also lots of people who just plain dive. Like me, for instance. There is a somewhat-loose-association of divers who keep a mailing list for our trips (BWBDivers@yahoogroups.com.) I post my intended runs when I have room on board among my friends; anyone who is on the list and wants to come is welcome. Note that none of us are charter operators! What this means is that you're just diving with a bunch of people who happen to be on a boat, and one of them owns the boat. In other words, diving with friends .vs. diving for money. Trips can be significantly more intense in terms of the diving (for instance, I typically dive sits in 100-120' of water for the first of the day, sometimes as deep as 100' on the second, and if we do a third it might be in 70-80'), we all tend to dive Nitrox, and on my boat at least most of us will be spearfishing. There is no fixed schedule among most of us, of course, other than when everyone needs to be home. Most of us (myself included) typically split fuel (before someone chimes in, this is perfectly legal - the charter guys may not like it, but the law says its kosher to voluntarily contribute to the actual costs of a recreational boating trip.) Gear carried and the boat itself varies depending on who's it is - mine is a midsize sportfish, and is quite a bit more "yacht" than "workboat" (e.g. it has a real galley, head, and A/C in the cabin!) Nobody will hold your hand when among friends, of course, and you'd be wise to match yourself pretty carefully against the planned itinerary - some of the folks around here are pretty much "look around at the pretty fish" people, and then there are folks like me who would like to EAT the fish :) (The only problem with this is that sometimes the man in the gray suit shows up, and he has at least a passing thought of perhaps eating YOU!)

Bring a buddy if you're diving with locals, or talk with them for a while first, because if they're the spearing kind of folks they may be effectively solo, even if they're a "buddy in name", and where folks are going and how intense they are with their diving varies WIDELY.

PM me if you'd like to know more privately, or blast away here... I know the local diving area reasonably well (20-25nm from the Destin pass) out to the ~120-130' depth range, and fish this area pretty heavily also. The diving here can be very nice, especially if you get beyond the "cattle boat" range (LOTS fewer people both fishing AND diving those sites!) but you have to be comfortable with it, whether you decide to get on a charter operation's run or find locals to blow some bubbles with.

Destin Florida brings up a memory for me...

I honestly do not remember the name of the dive outfit we were with, but my wife and I headed over from New Orleans for a couple of days of diving.

She was newly certified (in the quarrys of upstate Ohio brrrr) and we were looking forward to a bit warmer water for a change of pace from that very thick wetsuit.

Since I only had a dozen or so more dives than her, we hired one of the divermasters for "reassurance" and wouldn't you know it, but on the very FIRST dive (her FIRST since her certification) she comes straight down on a spiny sea urchin with one of her hands. We were out on the bridge rubble reef, and this little critter put 17 spines into her hand. I could hear her yell in the regulator, and I looked over and she was just holding her hand palm up, with all these little spines sticking up out of it.

Here is the rub...she FINISHED that dive, AND the SECOND dive also. We then went back to the hotel, showered, ate dinner, and then went to the local emergency clinic, where the docs proceded to give her a shot at every penetration point in her hand. After 6 or so shots, she told them just to dig them out or whatever they were doing to the spines without the shots for anesthetic.

NOW I know why women have the children and we do not!

Sorry I cannot answer your questions better, but thought I would share that memory of Destin, which you can be sure that we will never forget.

Those Sea Urchin spines can be NASTY!

I wear Kevlar gloves, and its not because I maul the reefs and wrecks, but because when spearfishing some contact is inevitable - and occasionally when there is a bottom current a bit of contact of some kind is pretty much mandatory if you want to stick your head in things (the "one finger" deal)

But you gotta look!

I haven't been nailed yet...

The Bridge Rubble is one of the favorite places for the local cattle boats to take people. Its a decent dive and its very close to the inlet.

It was just one of those things...first dive after training and we wanted to sit on the bottom for a little while and get comfortable and establish bouyancy.

Of course, that little sea urchin was probably on his or her open water checkout swim also and was thinking the same thing!

The urchin just got there FIRST! Sometimes it does pay to be first...hehehe.

Knavey – great story, even better dive buddy you got there. I’d keep her around for when things get dicey.

Genesis – very detailed perspective. I think I need to read what you wrote a couple of times to make sure I got it all. I’m passing it along as well. I’ll be in touch one-way-or-another as plans on this end become a bit clearer. Till then if other thoughts come to mind, please post’um. There are a few others back here peeking in now and then to see what’s happening with Destin and diving. It’s all good vibes back here.

Anyone else have an opinion on local diving sights that are the kind that ya just can’t miss? Oh ya, what about the nightlife or gotta eat there Seafood house?

Jim

Lousiana Lagniappe. Not a tourist trap, somewhat expensive but not outrageous, but you get what you pay for.

Most of the other stuff around here IS a tourist trap when it comes to dining - unfortunately.

As for nightlife, I wouldn't know - I don't do much of the "traditional" type of nightlife stuff.

I hope you don't mind if I jump in, I also have some questions:

Me and some friends are looking at coming down in August. I think we'll be open for a boat trip or two, but funds are unfortunately a bit of a concern, so we're looking at doing some shore diving.

As I understand it there is very good shore diving in the Destin area, any sites that are musts, and also descriptions available?

Thanks,

AD

for shore diving is the Jetties.

Its a very common shore dive around here, as well as a snorkel place. Just make sure to do it at high tide at slack time!

During incoming or outgoing tides the current can reach three knots - three honest knots.

There are a few other places you could dive from shore, but this is easily the nicest.

Miss Louise is probably the closest "wreck" site around here, and its about 1/2 mile offshore. Possible to shore dive I suppose, but finding it might be a problem, and it'd be a hell of a surface swim :)

Scuba Tech is a fabulous dive op. Nancy, the Captain, is well respected all over the southeast. The Sea Cobra is exceedingly clean and the deckhand we had --Rob? something monosyllabic -- was kind, energetic, changed out tanks and doled out pineapple... lots of little things that made the money well-spent.
My father (over 150 dives) and I (just at 30 dives) both highly recommend Scuba Tech.

Happy diving!

edited to correct: the wonderful deckhand was Todd "the bod" -- on the website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom