Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanaught

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to go diving in the tropics. Yet I don't know what wetsuit to choose. I was thinking about the Red Sea in Egypt as location.

I can choose from a shorty 3 mm wetsuit or a full wetsuit 3 mm or a full wetsuit 5 mm.

I now thought about Scubapro Tradewind steamer 5mm or a Mares Thermic Jumpsuit - 5 mm

Give me some help :)

I can't use the 5 mm though in NL because it's pretty cold up here in the sea etc. Drysuit recommanded :)

thnx

Well, that would depend on:
-water temps where you're going
-how many dives you're doing (multipe dives over many days?)
-how much natural insulation you have (do you feel the cold a lot?)

Personally, I'd go with a full suit over a shorty. It's protection from critters and stuff as well as for warmth.
If you feel the cold a lot, go for the thicker suit. You can always crack the zip or let some water in the neck to cool yourself off but there's not much you can do to warm yourself up if you're cold.

That, of course, is just my 2cents.

Diverlady

I would tend to agree with the full length 3mm - I've heard many complain about scraped up arms and legs from diving in shorties.

shorties don't have much utility...very narrow range of thermal protection and greatly reduced dermal exposure protection. Mine lives in the closet permanently.

Yes ok I was thinking about a full wetsuit to but if I go diving in the maledives or egypt etc should I equip a 3mm full wetsuit or a 5 mm full wetsuit?

Back
Top Bottom