Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May I ask what is the point to this, other than consuming peoples dive with trying to spear lionfish rather than appreciate the reef life? Spearing them will unfortunately change nothing in the long run... :shakehead: But then again, if it tickles your/ or anybodies fancy, why not I guess..:popcorn:

I agree completely. At best the dive masters are temporarily culling a small portion of the reef for their guests but are ignoring their guests when on safari.

I think that Jackson did [paid for the new concrete road down to Punta Gorda] before the last election, but it didn't seem to work for him. Have they finished the sidewalk yet, they had kind of just stopped for a while?

No, and the road only goes half way. Apparently contracts are void after a change in administration.

Well they had to drag us out kicking and screaming. It was certainly a sad day when we left. However with the pending hurricane we were also glad to get off the ground. I wouldn’t mind being stuck at Fantasy Island, but spending a few days at the airport would not have been fun. The pilot informed us that if our flight had been a few hours later, we would have been spending a couple more days there.

As you know Roatan has received a lot of rain recently. As we were flying in you could see huge sheets of mud run off. I guess I didn’t know that the island was made up of that much dirt as opposed to sand or coral like say Bonaire. When we got settled in we took a walk to the gazebo and were very disappointed by the look of the water. But fortunately the run off didn’t affect the boat dive sites. When we did the Mr Bud there was some mud on the surface, but the dive was great and very clear. The vis might be a little down from it’s normal but I would say that most sites were in the 80’ category. This being our first trip here, I can’t judge what normal might be.

Snagle and I did a shore dive early in the week to the Prince Albert, and the vis from the Gazebo was nothing less than horrible. Keep in mind that we mainly dive lakes and quarries, so when we say the vis is bad, it’s real bad. We crawled across the bottom in about 2’ of vis, got lost a few times, and then finely found the wreck. Down at the wreck the vis was very good, probably about normal for the site. We of course got lost on the way back too. Later in the week we did the dive again and the vis was much better. The mud seems to settle fairly quickly.

We enjoyed all the boat dives, but I found Mary’s place, Mr Bud, and Doc’s dive to be very memorable. Our dive master was very good, I believe is name was Dary, or something like that. The huge walls and canyons at most of the dive sites were very cool.

Everyone at the resort was very nice to us. I enjoyed the food, but I can see why some people are a little critical. I’m easy to please when it comes to food, and I didn’t have any trouble gaining a couple pounds on the trip.

When we first arrived there was no running water at all. That was a little concerning for us, and helped to add to the 3rd world feel for the place. They quickly got it going. It ran a little murky for a while but soon was fine. I heard someone else mention the one pitcher of drinking water a day was not enough, and I fully agree. I would suggest that each room have a drinking water dispenser with a 5 gallon jug.

I loved the monkeys, but I guess they lost a little charm through the week as they made it impossible to leave anything on the balcony. We did get some good pictures and video of them. We saw one running through the trees with some ones scuba mask. When he dropped it we were able to retrieve it and return it to its owner.

So far no one from our group got Malaria or Dysentery although I did get some water in my mouth while taking a shower once (forgot the sock trick). One odd thing about the rooms was the window between the bathroom and the balcony. Although frosted there was a lack of privacy. We were in rooms 200 and 201.

All in all we had a great time. We will be posting pictures and video sometime soon. Probably pictures will come first. Video will take some time editing.
I was exaggerating a little, there is still plenty of food and fun, so anybody going soon will have a great time!

Steve sounds like you guys had a very enjoyable trip and got in some great diving on Roatan.Very glad to hear you'll didn't eat all the food and left some fun since we head down there Saturday.:crafty::crafty:

You are correct...temp is very relative. If it helps, the water temperature last October was 84 degrees. What that means FOR ME is a dive skin for exposure protection only. If I get chilly towards the end of the week, I have a 3 mil shorty I can throw on top. I would suggest that your .5 mil would be perfect for 84 degree water. Maybe you can find out right before you leave what the current water temp is.

Electricity is the same as here in the states. You don't need any converters and your laptop has built-in surge protection through the plug-in I'm sure. (Most do that I know of)

WiFi is free in the lobby. It is pretty slow, but good enough to use Skype to call home and check in. That's what we always do. If your cell phone has international coverage you should be fine...there are cell towers on Roatan and lots of the islanders use cell phones. We have never used a cell phone on the island...way behind the times! You can give your mom the number to Fantasy Island in case of an emergency. I can sure relate to parent issues right now...

Wait till we get Skype hooked up on your new Iphone, Diva - then you can talk home via wifi w/out the international roaming fees...

Wait till we get Skype hooked up on your new Iphone, Diva - then you can talk home via wifi w/out the international roaming fees...

I called back using the FI wireless and the gmail phone plugin on my laptop. It worked perfectly. I left a message with my boss that I was calling from the bar.

Oh boy...teach me! It's so cool to have a computer guru as a dive buddy :kiss2:

P.S. Gumbo and brewski tomorrow evening...you can show me the ropes!

The new iphone didn't already have Skype? The used Droid I got on ebay for my grandson already had it, I presumed to be factory installed. Our German exchange student has it on his laptop too; uses it to call home on Sundays when the time difference doesn't matter. OMG, I hope he didn't scare his home parents too much after our hike & climb Saturday. :eek:

I'd warned him that everything in the park wanted to hurt him, i.e. cactus, yuccas, rattlesnakes, black widows, mesquite thorns, other trees with thorns, rocks, etc. We hadn't got a mile before my towhead grandson got him to eat a prickly pear, unroasted. See pic of daughter picking thorns out of his tongue with his pocket knife.
Caprock Canyon Oct 2010-09.JPG
We finally got to the top of the ridge and learned it was a skinny one, the other cliff dropping 20 ft away! They nearly walked off of a few on the retreat.

What was the topic again...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom