Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD: Snow in October???? ("I ask my ex-cop neighbor to drive into my driveway if it snows and leave tracks")
Well, I don't go in October these days. More like January or February for my non-summer trips, but yeah - I'm at 3300 feet elevation on the North American Great Plains. The land is so flat I can see Calgary on cloud reflections. :eyebrow: Well, maybe that's Amarillo only 100 miles away, but there ain't nothing to slow a norther between me and the arctic. We used to call them Canadian fronts but try to call them Arctic Fronts nowadays. So snow is possible October to March for me, but I was posting for the folks traveling who live a good bit further north of me.

What a great idea. I hadn't thought of leaving tracks in the drive. I have lived in Wyoming a Colorado almost my entire life and about the only month I can think of that leaving tracks in the driveway if it snows isn't a good idea is August.:D October.........very few I can remember that it didn't snow before Halloween.

Ya'll don got no sneaux down dere on da buyou?

Are they there yet...?
Sneaux, Sneaux, mai whats dat!!!
I think much of Houston stays home and raids hurricane supplies when snow makes it that far, rare as that is. Surfside south of there had a white Xmas once in 2004 tho...
snow.jpg
I've seen Dallas and El Paso people after a rare snow tho. They pack it down into black ice on the streets and make good speed - sideways...! :shocked2:

If anyone is going down take a small spear gun. On one dive on thursday, I counted 8 of those damn lionfish that were about 10 inches long or longer. Kill all that you can, they are eating all of the smaller normal fish to get that big! By the way, the diving was great even with the constant showers at times. Tell Darrin and Pedro hi. Remember that fish don't usually back up, aim close to the head of the lionfish and you may get the body. They sure are fast movers

May I ask what is the point to this, other than consuming peoples dive with trying to spear lionfish rather than appreciate the reef life? Spearing them will unfortunately change nothing in the long run... :shakehead: But then again, if it tickles your/ or anybodies fancy, why not I guess..:popcorn:

If anyone is going down take a small spear gun. On one dive on thursday, I counted 8 of those damn lionfish that were about 10 inches long or longer. Kill all that you can, they are eating all of the smaller normal fish to get that big! By the way, the diving was great even with the constant showers at times. Tell Darrin and Pedro hi. Remember that fish don't usually back up, aim close to the head of the lionfish and you may get the body. They sure are fast movers

Well, we made it down. Wasn't so sure there for awhile. We had to circle the island for awhile waiting for the clouds to break up. Thought we were going to have to spend the night in Belize. Got an opening and the pilot took it. We made it to FI and I have to say first impression weren't great, but the place is growing on me (I'll give a more detailed report when we get back). Did 4 dives on Sunday. Been raining pretty much since we got here and viz is down some, but tons better than what we are use too. The DM has been spearing Lion Fish, they are everywhere. Seen the typical ocean fish. Did see a yellow sea horse yesterday!

Getting gear ready for a shore dive last night and rolled my ankle. I'm nursing it today and hoping to get back in the game tomorrow. SteveC is out right now. Met ReefTank this morning at breakfast.

All-in-all, FI isn't the Ritz, but it's clean and comfortable. We have been fighting the monkeys and bats while sitting on the balcony. The people are absolutely great....very friendly and very helpful in any way we need it.

Anyway, just wanted to touch base and will give a full report when we get back, but we are here and having a great time, so far (well except, for rolling the ankle).

Snagel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom