Questions about HOG fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jswantek

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I bought a HOG BP/W setup and I love it, and I'm liking everything the company makes. Already planning on getting a D1 CW Reg in the near future as well. I'm also interested in the tech fins, but I do have a few questions about them first.

A) Can't find a size comparison chart for them anywhere, is one available? I have a 9 1/2 REALLY WIDE foot, diving with a wetsuit and 5mm boots, so I'd like a decent fit on them.

B) How adjustable/flexible are they in regard to fit? When I upgrade to a drysuit will I be able to get away with just a longer fin strap or will I have to buy a whole new fin? Last time I was in a wetsuit I was using size 12 rock boots that fit perfectly. I imagine I'd be using the same.

C) I've read a couple of reviews stating they're a great fin, but the people reviewing have had issues with the fin straps coming loose while removing the fin. Is this a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what have you done to correct it?

That's all I have so far, so if you could let me know and/or share your experiences, please feel free... Thanks!

Somebody? Anybody? Is noone using these fins??

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I find personal fin bliss in a pair of XL Hollis F1s.

Not exactly an answer to your question, but I find personal fin bliss in a pair of XL Hollis F1s.

yeah, nice fins but swim very different from the HOG.

The reason I didn't answer is I honestly don't have the detailed specs on the other brands to even post what you are asking for.Also exactly what type of boot on the drysuit you hypothetically may upgrade to will determine that question.

I have improved the fin strap.

Hm, good question. I'm guessing I'd be going with a rock boot, similar to a hi-top sneaker. Although, for budgetary reasons, I'd most likely just get a pair of Chuck Taylor's to fit the drysuit.

Regardless, what would be the fin size I'd need for now, with a 9 1/2 EEE foot, wearing a 5mm dive boot with a 'sneaker sole'? Would that be an XL size?

Glad to hear you're keeping the gear current. I have a HOG BP/W that's just fantastic, looking forward to being more 'brand specific'. Keep up the great work!

I wear a 9-1/2 to a 10, usually 10, and got a pair of Chucks in a 10-1/2 and wear that with HOG XL's. Yes the straps can come loose. You can put a tiewrap on to stop this.

Hey, Cerich. What was your solution?

I wear a 9-1/2 to a 10, usually 10, and got a pair of Chucks in a 10-1/2 and wear that with HOG XL's. Yes the straps can come loose. You can put a tiewrap on to stop this.

Hey, Cerich. What was your solution?

half a solution, it still is needing more tweaking.:depressed:

My plan is to get it solved then offer previous HOG fin buyers a great upgrade path (great meaning inexpensive)

Any chance I can get a complimentary pair for evaluation and review?? :eyebrow:

Just wondering, any word on the design changes for the fin straps? Also still looking for a size chart. Is anything available?

Back
Top Bottom