Questions about Roatan diving and resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handy andy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
1st time looking at Roatan, saw the Sport Diver Mag special Fantasy Island for 699, thought maybe this is doable. Continental flies from Wichita for about 600, looks like round trip, 5 hrs 25 minutes, so looks affordable, maybe there are fees I am not aware of, but anyway looking at 3 guys, 2 wives going, wives are non divers. Is there anything for to occupy a couple shopping women on FI? Do they have any activities, games etc for non divers? Are other resorts priced reasonably like this special? Would like to go in April, is water temp and other conditions right?
And can you get your regulator gone through at the resort while there. My diveshop closed up, and time for the new O rings. Jim

Forgot one important question, I'm 57, do I need to get a form and have the doctor stamp it? Have heard some places require this of over 50 divers. My health is good, no heart trouble, no prescriptions.

In the Caribbean, if you have a c card, you're diving.

Roatan is not known for its non-diving spouse (NDS) diversions. With a quick search here or the impending responses, you will hear of what is available. On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of Caribbean island NDS options, I would give Roatan a 2.5. As for shopping, they'll have to cab over to West End or Coxen Hole or the nearby Mahogany Bay, but I would give that an overall 3.5, largely featuring Guatemalan imports. Not much to buy on Roatan. Here's an interesting thread: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/ccv?forum=25272

FIBR is a great place to go for diving, and for a Roatan AI resort, it offers the most/best NDS options. It has a nice beach, occasionally a pool, and any other Roatan island diversion (nature tour, jungle canopy slide, horseback riding. mangrove tour) is going to require a cab ride from wherever you stay.

So, while you have them work on a regulator, you're going to rent one. The older regs get and when you get farther away from brands/models that are worldwide standards, o-rings are still pretty easy- it's the valve seats and diaphragms that get hard to locate. Across the channel at CoCoView's Dockside Dive Center, you will find almost any part you need. FIBR often sends gear over for repair or gets needed parts there. I would make all efforts to have this done back home.
ccvfromtheair.jpg
ClickMap_22.png

As far as resorts, FIBR is as good a deal as it gets. The fact is, AI (all inclusive) resorts really make sense on Roatan (in terms of money) if you want more than 2.4 dives per day. Less than that, guest houses with ala-carte dive ops make more sense financially but still lage behind in terms of time/activity budgeting. It all depends on what you wanted....

I will speak in terms of a dive vacation, not a vacation with some diving. When I sit in an airplane long enough to get to paradise, I am there for diving. I can drink in noisy bars back home, I can swim in pools, get a suntan on the sand, and go shopping back in Chicago. I came to dive, not shop for groceries, cook dinner, or walk more than 100 feet to flop into the water. I speak from that perspective. With two NDS in tow, you might want to look at the guest house ala carte options in the West End- if you are willing to give up some diving time. If momma aint happy, aint no one happy. If they are in need of shopping diversions, what little there is would be a short walk from anyplace in the West End.

FIBR (pictured below left) is a workable option if they have a lesser need for diversions.
Picture_114.png

You may do well to :search: here, this specific topic is pretty well been beaten to death many times.

While I respect Roatan Man's experience and judgment, I would look at some other options. FI is basically secluded. While an all inclusive may be a good deal, if you are unhappy with the food, you are kind of stuck. There is great diving on that side of the island but in an effort to keep everyone happy I would suggest booking something on West Bay. More crowded but a spectacular beach, close to shopping ( $2.00 water taxi to west end) and a variety of eating options. The diving and snorkeling are great and easy to get to. There are a number of options that are very affordable.

Bananarama.. small bungalows or maybe a 2 bedroom unit. this place does cater to the cruise ship folks, so it gets real crowded on the beach on certain days, between 10 and 3

Los Rocas... A lot more private but close to the beach

Mayan Princess.. very nice condos with a beautiful pool and dive shop on site. For five people you could probably get a decent per person price on a unit.

Henry Morgan... sorry have no experience here, but it is on the beach.

All of these resorts offer all inclusive but I still would not do it. Half of the charm of vacationing is experiencing different cuisines.

There are sand flees, if you keep some kind of deet on, you won't have a problem. Forget it and you will get bit. I personally have never had a problem with bugs on Roatan but I am always diligent about keeping the juice on.

Want a nice vacation? Keep the women happy.

Bruce

With two non diving wives, stay in West End or West Bay. There is not much to do at FI other than dive. Fix your regulator before leaving. Even if they have the parts at CoCo view, they might not be able to get to it instantly.

We are going in June and staying at Las Rocas. They have been great working with them and from all I hear there are other things to do that are close. We are taking our college kids with us and although we all dive and are there to dive, I wanted to have other options open to them.
When are you going?

I went in Roatan last arpil.
We stayed at the Mayan Princess (West bay), and dove 13 times.

AREA West BAY (at the end of the island)
This is in my opinion the best area to stay. More classy, perfect beach, and the resort is very nice and the pool, one of the nicest I'have seen.

AREA West End (not at the and of the island)
Very buissy day and nite, younger crowd, very nice place to go and visit, but not to stay. That's the place to dive, drink and dive... and dive again.

FOOD
You can eat there ( it is good for breakfast, OK for lunch and dinner) or just have a 2 minutes walk and get a very good italian restaurent, good steak house, an ice cream bar, and you can pick up a fine pizza and bring it to your room. Dont miss the Island pearl restaurant! not too expensive, but very romantic. There is a little market very close, where you can buy water, coldcuts, cheeses, anything...

For 2 dollars, you can take a water taxi and in 10 minutes you are at West end to get more Restaurants. We tried the Lite house. good sea food, faire price. Half moon restaurant was magic, the food was good. IMPORTANT those two restaurants do not accept credit card. I dont know for others, but bring cash.

Others Hotel
Just near there is the Bananaramma, witch looks good, the Island pearl a bit better, but the Mayan princess is the better one, maybe a bit more expensive.

Snorkling
I did the best snorkeling ever just in front of the mayan princess. (more at the left of the mayan princess) canyons, tunnels, turtels, no waves, no curents. WOW!!!

Diving
Corals are very nive, ritch, healty, etc. But the marine life is very rare. It was the first time in my life that I came up in the boat with nothing to say. NOTHING!!! not even an Angel fish!!! A would say that the diving was a big desapointment for me and my wife.

Sharks and Dolfins
But, we save our tip (at a diving level) with the shark dive and the dolfins dive. We dove with trainned dolfin with the Anthony's key. WOW!!! unforgetable! You play with them, they play like if they where golden retreaver...
And the shark dive is aswell impressive and safe.

Shopping
Roatan is not a shopping destination... ... A hate shopping so i 'am not a good adviser on this topic. Of course lots of handcraft stuff...

Contact me of you want picture's and others advices

uberbenoit at hotmail dot com

I did visit the cocoview ressort, and this is not the place for non dinvers. If you dive 4 times a day, it is perfect for you. Go on trio adviser to see picture!! almost no beach, not a pretty place at all.
seem that the dinving staff is good.

This is my opinion only

While Fantasy Island has a nice beach, small pool, and some ocean kayaks, there really isnt much for a non-diver to do there. It's great if you want to dive-eat-sleep but no so great for non-divers as it's a bit distant from west end and coxen hole, etc.
While I love FIBR for divers, I can't say I recommend it for non-divers.

1st time looking at Roatan, saw the Sport Diver Mag special Fantasy Island for 699, thought maybe this is doable. Continental flies from Wichita for about 600, looks like round trip, 5 hrs 25 minutes, so looks affordable, maybe there are fees I am not aware of, but anyway looking at 3 guys, 2 wives going, wives are non divers. Is there anything for to occupy a couple shopping women on FI? Do they have any activities, games etc for non divers? Are other resorts priced reasonably like this special? Would like to go in April, is water temp and other conditions right?
And can you get your regulator gone through at the resort while there. My diveshop closed up, and time for the new O rings. Jim

Hey Jim you may want to ask if that is including the 16% Honduran tax that is added on pkg trips..and then there is the 32.00 bucks departure fee...not much do do other than dive...I think the other posters have given you most of the info

btw a mdical release should not be an issue....most resorts have you sign a waiver....I am 58and have never had to have a medical release to dive..........you will need of course c-card/nitrox card.....make sure your passport is current you will not be able to board the plane in the USA if your passport expires with in 6 months

Back
Top Bottom