Questions for Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

As I see it is too many aren't tought the theory.

I'm not an instuctor, but man, did that ever hit the nail square on the head. And that goes for whole gamut, not just buoyancy & trim.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The principals I teach for adjusting balance to obtain correct trim will work with any equipment it will just take a little more effort. Learning this process better prepares one to dive regardless of equipment. A BP lends itself well to the process. As I see it is too many aren't tought the theory.

How do your students do?

They do fine. They can hover and maintain a depth. They have to do a barrel roll (I don't know why) but they also have to do a 360 and maintain.

Have you tried teaching with a plate as well as a bc?

No. For the reasons stated, we feel it's a safety issue. I suspect that if a student bought a backplate, we'd let them do OW in it (since that would be his norm), but the situation has never arisen.

How do you teach trim?

We have overheads and a classroom stint, and then we weight and balance each diver horizontally in the pool, while the other divers watch. We explain various methods of trim weighting, and buoyancy characteristics of different gear (fins, ankle weights, tank weights, ect).

How were you tought trim?

In OW, by tank shifting and a tank weight or two.

I learned to dive over a reef, and knew that landing on it was uncool.

I have and even if I am unable to quantify the benefits well in writting the results have been fantastic.

Popeye once bubbled...

They do fine. They can hover and maintain a depth. They have to do a barrel roll (I don't know why) but they also have to do a 360 and maintain.

No. For the reasons stated, we feel it's a safety issue. I suspect that if a student bought a backplate, we'd let them do OW in it (since that would be his norm), but the situation has never arisen.

We have overheads and a classroom stint, and then we weight and balance each diver horizontally in the pool, while the other divers watch. We explain various methods of trim weighting, and buoyancy characteristics of different gear (fins, ankle weights, tank weights, ect).

In OW, by tank shifting and a tank weight or two.

I learned to dive over a reef, and knew that landing on it was uncool.

Sounds good. Too many don't put in the effort. I'm not sure I see how learning in a plate and using a jacket is more dangerous that using a jacket and then a different jacket or a back inflation though. Either way they use my equipment here and some other equipment there. Not being familiar with your equipment can be dangerous but the only way around that is to own your own equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom