Questions regarding eSCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me know when they're $500 and i'll buy one.

Yeah, I wouldn't take one for free. But, since the OP was asking, I just figured I'd pass along the info.

The Drager Ray is totally unsuitable for 40m dives.
A dolphin/atlantis would be suitable but there's nothing electronic about it and functionally similar to the kiss gem (which is not a popular unit at all for various reasons)

I have seen/read/or heard nothing from Mike at KISS as far as manufacturing a ''kit'' to keep Explorer units functioning...I can't see why they would...''Rebreathers'' are not exactly a bristling business...I'd be surprised if KISS would involve themselves with someone elses ''failed'' product...if they did there were lots of rebreathers that have come and gone that were far superior to the Explorer if they wanted to pick up someone elses ''dropped ball''

http://kissrebreathers.com/images/uploads/hollis-explorer-mccr-conversion-manual-r1.pdf

I don't see the point, but they're doing it anyway.

and that's nothing like the "eSCR" it started its life as lol

Nope, not in the slightest.

I’d rather have a PSCR than either to be honest.

I tried to try dive an Explorer once. Couldn’t even get it in the water, the electronics kept failing. Even above water the WOB sucked....

Nope, not in the slightest.

I’d rather have a PSCR than either to be honest.

I tried to try dive an Explorer once. Couldn’t even get it in the water, the electronics kept failing. Even above water the WOB sucked....

Hey Johnny...

Thanks for the link...

Do you think they realize the liability they've attached themselves to...as none of this would be ''manufacturer'' authorized...Hollis sold their rights to the Explorer...and Huish wanted nothing to do with it...that's why it was dumped...

I wonder how far they're willing to go...when counter-lungs and other non-supported Hollis sub components start to fail and there are no replacements...in for a penny...in for a pound...

I don't imagine this kit is cheap either...

It's someone elses worry...

Best...and thanks...

Warren

The Drager Ray is totally unsuitable for 40m dives.
A dolphin/atlantis would be suitable but there's nothing electronic about it and functionally similar to the kiss gem (which is not a popular unit at all for various reasons)

rjack...

The Ray works fine at 40 m with the 50% orifice/bypass cup replaced with a 40% cup...and slinging off-board bailout...for cold water...changing out the Drager Shark open spring chamber 1st stage with a good sealed diaphragm 1st stage with the IP adjusted to 10.5 BAR...helps greatly...I use a ''Deep Six''...

A new Drager FGT-5400...is an excellent 40 m option...again using the 40% orifice...

Either Drager unit...will leave an Explorer...regardless how its configured for dead...

The WOB at 40 m on a new FGT-5400 is excellent...

We all fulfill our individual needs as we see fit...the above works fine for me and serves my needs very well...

Best...Happy New Year...

Warren

Shane Thompson died on a KISS unit next to Mike Young and there's been no civil suit. Much ado about nothing.

What PO2 drop are you seeing at 40m on 40%? OC that would be a PO2 of 2.0, which is sketchy af for the working portion of a dive, even for deco. you'd have to have a loop FO2 of 32% for that to be even a 1.6 at 40m. Are you actually seeing an 8% FO2 drop in the loop with 40% in the cylinder and the 40 orifice?

Hey Johnny...

Thanks for the link...

Do you think they realize the liability they've attached themselves to...as none of this would be ''manufacturer'' authorized...Hollis sold their rights to the Explorer...and Huish wanted nothing to do with it...that's why it was dumped...

Unless KISS are selling Explorers that have been modified with their parts installed, I imagine that KISS would only be liable for their actual parts. Of course, that would not stop anyone from naming KISS in any lawsuit they choose to file, thus forcing KISS to spend money defending themselves, even if they are ultimately found to be not liable in any way.

Shane Thompson died on a KISS unit next to Mike Young and there's been no civil suit. Much ado about nothing.

What PO2 drop are you seeing at 40m on 40%? OC that would be a PO2 of 2.0, which is sketchy af for the working portion of a dive, even for deco. you'd have to have a loop FO2 of 32% for that to be even a 1.6 at 40m. Are you actually seeing an 8% FO2 drop in the loop with 40% in the cylinder and the 40 orifice?
In addition to that... The OP is in Norway - that water isn't warm. And isn't looking for a heavily modified unit. And the Ray scrubber is tiny and was never considered especially capable for cold water. I could see him in a dolphin sure. But why would he dredge up a Ray; it serves none of his wishes or needs at all.

Back
Top Bottom