Quick question - Where to find a Cambio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DjDiverDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be coming into Cozumel on a cruise ship on the 18th, and I really don't want to pay the "Tourist Rate" for taxis, etc. But I just checked my dive wallet, and only have 27 Pesos left from my last trip. Does anybody know if there is a Cambio in the International Pier compound? Or across the street in that retail center? Somplace I can quickly get $40-$60 worth of Pesos? No, I do NOT want to use my Debit Card, because Bank of America will use its own exchange rate, currently 18.22 to the Dollar (AWFUL!), plus charge me ATM fees. And I do NOT want to know about the Bank in that retail center, because I am not going to carry my Passport all around Cozumel. JUST THE LOCATION OF A CAMBIO NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL PIER, PLEASE.

Chances are any money exchange store will charge you enough fees to make it not worth it for you to exchange only $40-60.

I tipped the cute divemaster chick $25; how far will $40 go?

I'll be coming into Cozumel on a cruise ship on the 18th, and I really don't want to pay the "Tourist Rate" for taxis, etc. But I just checked my dive wallet, and only have 27 Pesos left from my last trip. Does anybody know if there is a Cambio in the International Pier compound? Or across the street in that retail center? Somplace I can quickly get $40-$60 worth of Pesos? No, I do NOT want to use my Debit Card, because Bank of America will use its own exchange rate, currently 18.22 to the Dollar (AWFUL!), plus charge me ATM fees. And I do NOT want to know about the Bank in that retail center, because I am not going to carry my Passport all around Cozumel. JUST THE LOCATION OF A CAMBIO NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL PIER, PLEASE.

I apologize DjDiverDan as this isn't an answer to your very clear, precise request for information. I hear and understand your issue with the "Tourist Rate" conundrum and agree that it can be an issue. My solution to the issue would be different. For one day and $60, I wouldn't try to get pesos. I've been on the island many, many times and my sole transportation has been taxis. I've had well over 100 meals at restaurants on the island. It's very easy not to get "tourist rated", heh, and find yourself overpaying by any significant amount. This rate might be off but close, so let's assume the fare from the Cruise terminal to the square is 110 pesos. ($5.72US @19.20 to 1). My conversation with the taxista would go something like this: "How much to the square? Is it 110 pesos?" If you know it is, but you get a different answer, I'd say "OK. No Thank you.", and walk away. If the driver confirms the rate, I'd say, "So, 6 dollars US?" and if he/she says, "No, $11.", I'd say "Ok. No Thank you.", and walk away. If he/she says, "Yes. 6 dollars US.", you've made the deal, and only lost 28 cents. For some, that's a problem. For me, it's not, so with a rate really close to 20 to 1, it's easy to calculate in your head, even for a T-shirt priced in pesos. 84 pesos? That's a little over $4US. If they say, "$4.50US", close enough, even though I'm getting "took" for 13 cents. If they say more than that, I'd point out the exchange rate. At restaurants, I ask for the bill in pesos, and keep track of the menu price and what I'm charged.

With one exception, I've always been on island for my vacation. That's when I exchange for pesos. I have my favorite little cambio, but it's near the square. If I run out of pesos for a minute or two, it's never been a problem. Plus, I have a Cozumel Taxi Angel. When they say it's 80 pesos from Casa del Mar to the square, or vice versa, and I ask what it is in US dollars, I've only heard $8 when the rate was very near 10 to 1. The last time I asked I was told $6, which at the time was a sniff over the actual exchange rate, but again, no big deal.

Taxi, taco, T-shirt. If the bill is 274 pesos, nobody's going to argue your payment of $14.50US, even though they don't like the coins. At least they've never argued with me.

Chances are any money exchange store will charge you enough fees to make it not worth it for you to exchange only $40-60.

I have been going to Cozumel for 28 years now, and have used the little Cambio Booths many, many times. Never ONCE was I charged a fee to exchange money. Yes I KNOW that the rates won't be as good as I can get at a bank. Yes I KNOW that I can get Pesos out of an ATM using my Debit Card. I don't want to do that. Can ANYBODY just answer the question I ASKED, instead of trying to tell me to do it YOUR way?

I am not going to carry my Passport all around Cozumel. JUST THE LOCATION OF A CAMBIO
I have been going to Cozumel for 28 years now, and have used the little Cambio Booths many, many times.
Sorry that I can't answer your question as I avoid the cruise area, but then I do have a concern. I prefer to pay taxis and meals with Pesos, but I do not think the exchange booths are allowed to process a exchange without your passport.

Does this help? CIBanco. Right across the street from the pier. As DandyDon mentioned, you'll need your passport.

CIBanco.jpg

I tipped the cute divemaster chick $25; how far will $40 go?
No further than 1st base is my guess?

I have been going to Cozumel for 28 years now, and have used the little Cambio Booths many, many times. Never ONCE was I charged a fee to exchange money. Yes I KNOW that the rates won't be as good as I can get at a bank. Yes I KNOW that I can get Pesos out of an ATM using my Debit Card. I don't want to do that. Can ANYBODY just answer the question I ASKED, instead of trying to tell me to do it YOUR way?
Geez bro......just go to Bank America at home and ask fo $100 in Pesos...they are your bank right?

Geez bro......just go to Bank America at home and ask fo $100 in Pesos...they are your bank right?

I just did that today - they offered me 18.22 Pesos to the dollar, minus a $7.50 delivery fee. So, for $107.50, I would get 1822 Pesos: they round up the purchase to 1840 Pesos, since they only deal in bills, making my cost $108.50, working out to a rate of 16.96. Which is a TERRIBLE exchange rate, when both OANDA and Bloomberg are reporting an official rate of 19.22 Pesos to the Dollar.

Geez bro, pay attention, will you?

Back
Top Bottom