Quick question - Where to find a Cambio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did that today - they offered me 18.22 Pesos to the dollar, minus a $7.50 delivery fee. So, for $107.50, I would get 1822 Pesos: they round up the purchase to 1840 Pesos, since they only deal in bills, making my cost $108.50, working out to a rate of 16.96. Which is a TERRIBLE exchange rate, when both OANDA and Bloomberg are reporting an official rate of 19.22 Pesos to the Dollar.

Geez bro, pay attention, will you?
Yeah, that does suck. Wells Fargo would charge me $117.40 including delivery for that many Pesos, while the Google straight exchange rate would be $95.77 if no one wanted to make a profit in business, but they all do. Since you only want half that much, it's even less worth the trouble & expense.

A local exchage would indeed work better for you if you can find one, and maybe that CIBanco that Nodakdive found for you will work - except that expenses in that area are probably ridiculously expenses so you may still get a crappy rate. All in all, maybe not worth the trouble there.
Seriously, flyboy. DjDan doesn't have time for our crap. He has Pesos to save!
But not many. Maybe $5 worth when he's done.

I just did that today - they offered me 18.22 Pesos to the dollar, minus a $7.50 delivery fee. So, for $107.50, I would get 1822 Pesos: they round up the purchase to 1840 Pesos, since they only deal in bills, making my cost $108.50, working out to a rate of 16.96. Which is a TERRIBLE exchange rate, when both OANDA and Bloomberg are reporting an official rate of 19.22 Pesos to the Dollar.

Geez bro, pay attention, will you?
Such a problem for $100.00 :poke:

I'll be coming into Cozumel on a cruise ship on the 18th, and I really don't want to pay the "Tourist Rate" for taxis, etc. /QUOTE]

But you ARE a tourist and you WILL pay the tourist rate! Geeez

I have been going to Cozumel for 28 years now, and have used the little Cambio Booths many, many times. Never ONCE was I charged a fee to exchange money. Yes I KNOW that the rates won't be as good as I can get at a bank.
That difference in exchange rates IS the fee.

But, to answer your question - sort of - the money exchanges used to be everywhere in San Miguel, but with the advent of consumer accessible international electronic banking they are inexorably going the way of the dodo. Sooner or later (but not much later) they will disappear completely. I understand hanging onto "old school" ways; I hung onto the use of travelers' cheques far too long, until they were completely useless, but they went away because of the same technology. Adapt or "die". :D

FWIW, my guess is that the cambios close to the cruise ship docks will be the last to go, so look at Puta Langosta a few blocks south of the ferry dock.

Last edited:
To the op, ignore this post....

Just in the short time I have been going to Cozumel it seems that most of the businesses are adapting to the higher exchange rate and I have noticed an at least perceived less benefit to pesos. The restaurants I frequent give checks with both options listed, dollars and pesos, and the rate was pretty close to the bank. And many of the shops have both options listed as well with not much difference. And a few places seem to list only dollars.

So yes you might spend an extra penny or two but for me it just wouldn’t be worth standing in line exchanging a few dollars rather than diving or on the beaches of Coz for one day in port.

I have been going to Cozumel for 28 years now, and have used the little Cambio Booths many, many times. Never ONCE was I charged a fee to exchange money. Yes I KNOW that the rates won't be as good as I can get at a bank. Yes I KNOW that I can get Pesos out of an ATM using my Debit Card. I don't want to do that. Can ANYBODY just answer the question I ASKED, instead of trying to tell me to do it YOUR way?

From post #1 you seem to have had an attitude, CAPITALIZING and lecturing before the first response. Figure it out yourself!

If you've been going to Coz for 28 years and still don't know how to avoid being fleeced by taxis, you deserve it.

I hung onto the use of travelers' cheques far too long, until they were completely useless
Me, too. Then I noticed that I wouldn't cash a leftover at my home town grocery where I have traded for decades.

From post #1 you seem to have had an attitude, CAPITALIZING and lecturing before the first response. Figure it out yourself
Oh, I think he knew we would argue with his approach, and we did.

I think he got an answer on FB: No, none there. The cruise ships run all the businesses there to some extent, and they won't allow such. Besides, he would have to carry his passport to use one.

He can use a debit card at the bank there as I guess they have an ATM, and I would never want to leave the boat without my card - just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom