Quick question - Where to find a Cambio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be coming into Cozumel on a cruise ship on the 18th, and I really don't want to pay the "Tourist Rate" for taxis, etc. But I just checked my dive wallet, and only have 27 Pesos left from my last trip. Does anybody know if there is a Cambio in the International Pier compound? Or across the street in that retail center? Somplace I can quickly get $40-$60 worth of Pesos? No, I do NOT want to use my Debit Card, because Bank of America will use its own exchange rate, currently 18.22 to the Dollar (AWFUL!), plus charge me ATM fees. And I do NOT want to know about the Bank in that retail center, because I am not going to carry my Passport all around Cozumel. JUST THE LOCATION OF A CAMBIO NEAR THE INTERNATIONAL PIER, PLEASE.

If it doesn't spoil the fun, and if you have a specific time, I could just meet you. I'll need USD eventually or can spend them at the grocery store at a fair rate.

Several commenters have noted that I need my Passport to change money at a Cambio. It's been a few years, but that never used to be the case. I almost always just brought cash, and made one or two trips to Banks (usually Scotia Bank) to get $500 worth of Pesos for a week's stay. I knew I needed the Passport to exchange at a bank, but Cambios, offering a less favorable exchange rate, were more convenient because I didn't need to schlep my Passport everywhere. Have the rules changed?

BTW, thank you Christi.
We have been traveling to Cozumel since 1981 and have always used the Cambios. As of last September, we have never had to show our passports. Only once a couple of years ago in Playa Del Carmen did they ask for a passport and since we never carry our passport with us (we leave it in the hotel safe) we showed them a photocopy of it and that worked.

Cambios are private for-profit businesses. It seems to me that the reduced exchange rate that you get at a cambio (they have to make a profit to stay in business) has a good chance of wiping out whatever financial benefit one would get by spending pesos instead of US$ on Cozumel.

If you are changing money at a bank, you must have your passport - but I believe they've actually stopped changing money for guests who are not account holders - this may vary from bank to bank, but passport would definitely be needed at a bank. Cambios I believe just require a photo ID - I haven't used a cambio in at least 5 or 6 years though years though since I have a USD and a Peso account at Banamex and use my debit card to withdraw money from my US account - this or using my Capital One credit card for purchases always give me the best rates and no foreign exchange fees.

Sincere note to Dan - I'm glad to help, but your requests were more like demands - just a note for future requests. And regarding the "tourist" comment - I hate to break it to you or anyone - but regardless of how many times or how frequently you visit the island, unless you have a residence here and live here full time, you ARE a guest here - call it what you like, tourist, traveler, guest, etc. - but you are not a local. If coming on a cruise ship, you are caught in that trap even more - this is not a slam or a judgment, just a fact .

Last edited:
We have been traveling to Cozumel since 1981 and have always used the Cambios. As of last September, we have never had to show our passports. Only once a couple of years ago in Playa Del Carmen did they ask for a passport and since we never carry our passport with us (we leave it in the hotel safe) we showed them a photocopy of it and that worked.
I guess experience vary here. The one time I used one August 2016, they told me it was required.

I hate to break it to you or anyone - but regardless of how many times or how frequently you visit the island, unless you have a residence here and live here full time, you ARE a guest here - call it what you like, tourist, traveler, guest, etc. - but you are not a local.

That reminds me of an experience I had a few years ago walking around in town. There was a business (a cigar store, maybe) I passed a few times where the guy out front would approach me every time trying to sell me something, and every time I would decline. One time, however, I stopped and pseudo-seriously demanded, "Do I look like a tourist to you???" Beat. And then he busted out laughing. I was wearing white shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, sandals, a white canvas hat, and sunglasses. I could not have looked more like a tourist.

After that, every time I passed him we would just point at each other and grin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom