Quiz - 17 - Diving Knowledge Workbook - Diving Physiology

Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it:

• a. is inert.

• b. has a sedating effect on the diver.

• c. is odorless and tasteless.

• d. All of the above are correct.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because you are confusing answer with selection. There can be multiple answers but you need to make one selection.
Answer/selection? I d. all of the above is deemed the correct "answer" and I select a. am I marked incorrect and lose points? If all are correct then a. is correct.
Unless it's worded "check all that are correct", but that's not what I consider a true multiple choice question. It also doesn't say "if all are correct you must check d. or it is marked wrong". Semantics, I suppose, but my concept of a true multiple choice question is there are 4 to select from-- one is correct and the other three are wrong.

Answer/selection? I d. all of the above is deemed the correct "answer" and I select a. am I marked incorrect and lose points? If all are correct then a. is correct.
Unless it's worded "check all that are correct", but that's not what I consider a true multiple choice question. It also doesn't say "if all are correct you must check d. or it is marked wrong". Semantics, I suppose, but my concept of a true multiple choice question is there are 4 to select from-- one is correct and the other three are wrong.
The correct way to read these multiple choice problems is a XOR b XOR c XOR d (all of the above). If d is correct, you don't get participation points for choosing a.

c. is odorless and tasteless.

People mistakenly believe that carbon monoxide smells like car exhaust. This is not the case. The smell given off from internal combustion engines results from hydrocarbon emissions. Carbon monoxide itself has no odor. Although a diver will eventually become unconscious, this is not because of any sedative effect, but rather due to hypoxia. Clearly, carbon monoxide is not inert (chemically inactive).

TMHeimer, here is your multiple choice question: :D

Carbon Monoxide is difficult to detect because it:
a. is odorless and tasteless
b. is odorless and tasteless
c. is odorless and tasteless
d. is odorless and tasteless

TMHeimer, here is your multiple choice question: :D

Carbon Monoxide is difficult to detect because it:
a. is odorless and tasteless
b. is odorless and tasteless
c. is odorless and tasteless
d. is odorless and tasteless
I did get the correct answer on the quiz. But I assume you know my question refers to a question where all 4 are correct but you don't select "all of the above". All in good fun, but curious as to why some questions would have 4 correct answers and you are to choose one. Doesn't seem questions like that need to exist. They're teaching you how to outsmart multiple choice wordings rather than to check your knowledge of the material. I learned how to do that 50 years ago in Jr. High.

I imagine the original test intentionally included "b. has a sedating effect on the diver" as a bit of a trick question . Sedation in the form of confusion and slow reactions are symptoms of hypoxia and hypoxemia, which is the end result of CO poisoning.

I imagine the original test intentionally included "b. has a sedating effect on the diver" as a bit of a trick question . Sedation in the form of confusion and slow reactions are symptoms of hypoxia and hypoxemia, which is the end result of CO poisoning.
Yes, that is why I considered voting for all of the above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom