Quiz - Recreational Dive Planner

If a diver does three dives a day for three days, what is the minimum time the diver should wait aft

• a. 4 hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b. a minimum preflight surface interval greater than 18 hours is suggested

Votes: 34 61.8%
  • c. 24 hours

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • d. 12 hours

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Full question from the PADI Dive Theory Exam:

If a diver does three dives a day for three days, what is the minimum time the diver should wait after the last dive before flying in a commercial jet airliner according to the flying after diving recommendations?

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

should wait after the last dive before flying in a commercial jet airliner according to the flying after diving recommendations?
"Should" is the operative word.

B is my answer for no deco diving. However a diver "should" wait longer if practical for multiple no deco dives and definitely longer for any dive requiring a deco stop.

I like the old way where we just waited until we were in Group D or less. :)

What "Group D" means depends entirely upon which table you are using.
True...I should have said, I like the old way where we just waited until we were in Group D or less using US Navy tables- mid 1970ies vintage.

Cannot answer the question. How deep were the dives especially on day 3. Were they 3 40 minutes dives to 30ft. Were they three dives to 90 ft where I maxed my ndl on each dive?

Generally I take 24 hours, and avoid deep dives the last diving day.

I guess the answer is 18. I put 24. I've only done one such dive trip and had a full day in between plus a night before my return flight. I would think if you fly the next day after the last day of diving you'd be OK. That would be between 18 & 24 hrs. most likely.
Is there an answer key posted to these questions?

I guess the answer is 18. I put 24. I've only done one such dive trip and had a full day in between plus a night before my return flight. I would think if you fly the next day after the last day of diving you'd be OK. That would be between 18 & 24 hrs. most likely.
Is there an answer key posted to these questions?
For PADI, it will be 12 hours after a single dive, and 18 after repetitive dives.

DAN would recommend 24h.

EDIT: as @tursiops said, DAN recommends 18h only in this scenario now

My old Suuntos would give you a suggested no fly time, I think it was based on your profiles as someone it would be 12 hours, sometimes it would be 15 hours, the longest I ever saw was 18 hours. Though I always planned a full no diving day before flying so I kept my SI at least 36 hours.

But IIRC the PADI recommendation is 18 hours for this situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom