Quiz - Visual Inspection Procedure - True/False 1

Question 1: Air released from a cylinder is harmless.

• True

• False

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if the cylinder is filled with argon instead of regular air (as for a drysuit inflator)? Can it displace the breathable air in a room? How about if the cylinder is full of o2? Could it raise the o2 level in a room to an unsafe/combustible level?

Or, am I overthinking this because the question says "air" and that implies standard breathable air?

Question 1: Air released from a cylinder is harmless. True or False

Please answer and discuss!
Unless you overthink this, air is air, whether it was already on the outside of the cylinder, or it came from inside the cylinder.

Unless you overthink this, air is air, whether it was already on the outside of the cylinder, or it came from inside the cylinder.
I intended it exactly in this way. It is air, nothing else.
And it was "released", a word that for me means that it was made to exit by purpose, opening the valve, not due to the cylinder exploding or the burst disc breaking. That is not a "release". For me, the word "release" means something done voluntary, in a controlled way.
You release someone from prison. It is different form a prisoner who escapes... You cannot say that he was "released", you say that he did "escape".

A stream of high pressure, released air like you might get by putting your hand over a ruptured burst disk or opened valve can cause an embolism. Same reason compressed air blow guns have a diffuser tip, so you don't cover the hole with your hand and blow.

I intended it exactly in this way. It is air, nothing else.
And it was "released", a word that for me means that it was made to exit by purpose, opening the valve, not due to the cylinder exploding or the burst disc breaking. That is not a "release". For me, the word "release" means something done voluntary, in a controlled way.
You release someone from prison. It is different form a prisoner who escapes... You cannot say that he was "released", you say that he did "escape".
I'd like to cut Angelo a lot of slack in these discussions. Not only is he arguing nuances in not his native language (although his English is very good), but it is his profession to overthink things! :D

I'd like to cut Angelo a lot of slack in these discussions. Not only is he arguing nuances in not his native language (although his English is very good), but it is his profession to overthink things! :D
You would cut away much of the fun of these questions!

Agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom