Trip Report Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where. Sorry. But before I did the real application, I did a test application before submitting to make sure I was doing it right. Note that approval was instant and the payment link is sent by email immediately.
I think you might be mixing up the eVOA with the electronic customs declaration. I certainly got my eVOA much more than 3 days in advance for my trip last month, but you can't do the electronic customs declaration until something like 48 hours in advance, I think.

Great report. I love Sorido Bay.

FWIW- 200.000 Idr is about $13, not $6.

I was about to mention the same. Since it’s still pretty small, I won’t bother correcting it.

BTW, what’s the exchange rate at the airport nowadays?

With my Klik BCA $1 = Rp.15,555.00 as of today.

I’ve been diving in Indonesia almost every year for over 18 years. The best way to get cash in Rupiah is by bringing new $100 bills and exchange them at the local bank booths at the airport. There are a few of them there to keep the exchange rate competitive.

Since I often visiting Indonesia, I take some leftover Rupiah back home for the next trip back to Indonesia.

Few years ago I learned that Bank Central Asia (BCA) allowed foreigner to open an account with passport. So, I opened an account there. Now I have no ATM problem as BCA ATM machines are all over Indonesia. I can pay Indonesian dive operator, airlines, etc., electronically via Klik BCA.
I came to say the same thing... frequent traveler to Indo and I have never used an atm. Crisp newish 100's get you the best rate... super fast and simple exchange. You don't really need that much cash to survive in Indo! And I definitely don't hold my nose in the shower! Are you being serious and really doing that?

Sorong has improved a bunch since we first started going there, and I might be strange, but I love the crazy road antics and hearing the "call to prayer" it is immersive and part of what makes Indo special! I especially love sitting on a LOB during a sunset and hearing call to prayer in the distance.

hearing the "call to prayer" it is immersive and part of what makes Indo special!
Yes!
Funnily enough I found the muezzin call in Sorong was almost pleasant compared to some others (LBJ for instance), it's a long and musical chant. My wife thought it was moving , even though that was 5AM.

Well... I will not do a Muezzin singles chart top 100 ...

On another level, I'm surprized a transfer to such a überexpensive resort like Sorido isn't that organized. Transfering in august to another R4 resort, the procedure was super smooth, I just had to put my luggage in the driver's car at the hotel and find them back in my room 3 hours later.
The R4 tax was paid beforehand to the resort, nobody had the weird idea to come ask us for it, porter matters were handled seamlessly by the resort reps.

Continued trip report (Sorido Bay)

Internet connection is continuing to get worse so there will be no photos for this portion.

The food was excellent served buffet style. Coffee, water, and tea are included. Soft drinks are 3 € per can. Wine is available for purchase only by the bottle for about 42 €, average. There is no liquor.

The Diving. For the diving with Papua Divers, they are a fantastic operation. The groups are 2-to-1 up to 5-to-1 divers per guide to start. After a couple of days of watching you dive, they will break up the groups for a more personal experience based on your air consumption and compatability with the other divers.

The diving launches from the jetty, which I posted a picture in my previous post. At the jetty, you are assigned a blue crate that you put your gear into. Each dive, the dive staff assembles your gear for you, then you analyze your nitrox with the guide. Nitrox is free. The crew then loads your gear onto the boat.

After the dive, all your gear is taken off in the water and handed up to the staff. More often than not, there were more staff than divers. There was a captain, the guides, and a deckhand or two. After the first day of diving, I was assigned a private guide, an up-and-coming 23-year-old Indonesian with a passion for marine life and conservation. He was a great guide.

They are very open to your suggestions or desires to see particular animals, and they will look for them for you.

Back at the jetty, the staff will change your tanks and set up again. At the end of the day, they will rinse your BCD, reg, and fins, and you clean your own personal gear. One drawback was the lack of fresh water to rinse any of my gear for 10 days. What comes out of the outdoor faucets and showers is seawater with reverse osmosis, so it's brackish water much like the picture in my previous post.

Round trip transfers are included in the package. The boat ride from Kri Island to Sorong took about 1 hour 40 minutes. It's a small enclosed boat, no a/c, and very hot.

I really enjoyed my stay there. The resort staff and the dive staff did an outstanding job to make my stay comfortable. This portion of my trip cost $4,076 for the hotel only for 10 days. The single occupancy penalty was 23%. I did a la carte diving, which totaled $950. The marine park fee good for one year was $60.

I'll comment about the tipping practice in the next post.

Did you dive with schooling sweetlips in Cape Kri? They are usually packed like sardines around 130’ (40m) depth. A must see if you are in the neighborhood.

Continued trip report (Sorido Bay)

Internet connection is continuing to get worse so there will be no photos for this portion.

The food was excellent served buffet style. Coffee, water, and tea are included. Soft drinks are 3 € per can. Wine is available for purchase only by the bottle for about 42 €, average. There is no liquor.

The Diving. For the diving with Papua Divers, they are a fantastic operation. The groups are 2-to-1 up to 5-to-1 divers per guide to start. After a couple of days of watching you dive, they will break up the groups for a more personal experience based on your air consumption and compatability with the other divers.

The diving launches from the jetty, which I posted a picture in my previous post. At the jetty, you are assigned a blue crate that you put your gear into. Each dive, the dive staff assembles your gear for you, then you analyze your nitrox with the guide. Nitrox is free. The crew then loads your gear onto the boat.

After the dive, all your gear is taken off in the water and handed up to the staff. More often than not, there were more staff than divers. There was a captain, the guides, and a deckhand or two. After the first day of diving, I was assigned a private guide, an up-and-coming 23-year-old Indonesian with a passion for marine life and conservation. He was a great guide.

They are very open to your suggestions or desires to see particular animals, and they will look for them for you.

Back at the jetty, the staff will change your tanks and set up again. At the end of the day, they will rinse your BCD, reg, and fins, and you clean your own personal gear. One drawback was the lack of fresh water to rinse any of my gear for 10 days. What comes out of the outdoor faucets and showers is seawater with reverse osmosis, so it's brackish water much like the picture in my previous post.

Round trip transfers are included in the package. The boat ride from Kri Island to Sorong took about 1 hour 40 minutes. It's a small enclosed boat, no a/c, and very hot.

I really enjoyed my stay there. The resort staff and the dive staff did an outstanding job to make my stay comfortable. This portion of my trip cost $4,076 for the hotel only for 10 days. The single occupancy penalty was 23%. I did a la carte diving, which totaled $950. The marine park fee good for one year was $60.

I'll comment about the tipping practice in the next post.

Spendy!! You could get on a nice liveaboard for that price.

Agree, I could
Spendy!! You could get on a nice liveaboard for that price.
Agree, I could do two to three months of shore diving all around Bali, including room and board, for that kind of cheese!

Agree, I could

Agree, I could do two to three months of shore diving all around Bali, including room and board, for that kind of cheese!

But it wouldn't be Raja Ampat diving. 😄

I'd rather dive Raja Ampat than anywhere else I've yet been.

That said, the diving out of Padang Bai and out towards Nusa Penida, is pretty good too for a fraction of the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom