Ranking computer manufacturers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pro Plus 2 provides a "real time" Dive Time Remaining calculation - based on the lesser of no-deco time remaining, Air Time Remaining (which you can define based on the psi you wish to reach the surface with as well) or O2 accumulation. I may not understand your statement regarding a "True Remaining Bottom Time", but it seems that if you prefer other benefits of the Pro Plus 2, we have you covered there as well.

Doug

serrada:
The sol reason I like the Smart Com over the Data Max 2 is the “True Remaining Bottom Time” (where I can program the amount of air left in my tank at the end of the dive) feature on the Smart Com. I like this feature enough it out weight the benefits of the Pro Plus 2.

I didn’t list any other manufactures because I thought most other computers are made by the big three. For example, correct me if I’m wrong, I though Aeris was manufactured by Oceanic.

Doug Krause:
The Pro Plus 2 provides a "real time" Dive Time Remaining calculation - based on the lesser of no-deco time remaining, Air Time Remaining (which you can define based on the psi you wish to reach the surface with as well) or O2 accumulation. I may not understand your statement regarding a "True Remaining Bottom Time", but it seems that if you prefer other benefits of the Pro Plus 2, we have you covered there as well.

Doug

First off, thank you for your reply.

I might be completely wrong, but my understanding of the UWATEC's Smart Com is that one is able to program it before your dive so that you can have, for example, 500 psi left in your tank when you finish your dive as long as you follow what the computer tells you what to do. It give you the remaining bottom time at each depth you are at. It accounts for air consumption, ascent time and decompression stops when present.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Oceanic just gives total time remaining. In other words if a diver is a 130’ the Pro Plus 2 for example show the diver they have 30 min left whether this is enough time to surface or not with air left in the tank.

That is incorrect as it applies to dive time remaining with an air time limiting factor. Using your example: if a diver is at 130' and the Pro Plus 2 shows 30 minutes Air Time Remaining - that calculation is based on the depth you are currently at, your actual breathing rate, plus ascent time and deco time if required. The calculation is based on getting you to the surface with your pre-programmed psi remaining, or the factory default of 500 psi.

Hope that helps -

Doug

Doug Krause:
That is incorrect as it applies to dive time remaining with an air time limiting factor. Using your example: if a diver is at 130' and the Pro Plus 2 shows 30 minutes Air Time Remaining - that calculation is based on the depth you are currently at, your actual breathing rate, plus ascent time and deco time if required. The calculation is based on getting you to the surface with your pre-programmed psi remaining, or the factory default of 500 psi.

Hope that helps -

Doug

Yes, it does. And I think you just saved me some money also.

Thank you for correcting my misunderstanding out the Pro Plus 2.

Doug Krause:

Hope that helps -

Doug

Doug

To let you know I purchased the VT3 today on my lunch break. My dive shop should have it in about a week. Therefore, I’ll be able to use it on my lobster dive the 26 and 27 here in Florida.

Also, to let you know you guys did an excellent job servicing my Omega regulator. I got it back yesterday and your technician contacted me and went over ever detail with me. (I had a blue colored housing and asked for the cost to change it to black. Your technician swapped it out free of charge giving me added motivation to buy the VT3 today.) I think it was worth the extra money I spent having to ship it from here in Florida to you guys in California.

Anyways, after my dives with the VT3 I’ll give my full review.

Hi...My vote goes to Oceanic for 2 reasons. Been using the data max pro for a long long time,and never a problem.
the second is the best customer service one can have. While prepping my gear for an upcoming trip I noticed a small ridge on the underside of the dive computer cover while changing batteries.
A call to Mark at Oceanic resulted in him saying the datamax is no more,but he went to the scrapheap so to speak ,and sent me 2 hardly used covers no charge, and a brand spanking new oceanic bucket hat to boot! Now thats service!
:) Wash

IMHO:

1) Suunto

2) Uwatec

3) Oceanic

4) The rest

Cheers.

-J.-

Doug Krause:

Hope that helps -

Doug

Doug,

I'm thinking of a VT3 or similar to replace my VEO 200. Do any of your computers (or any others) do a pseudo-rock bottom calculation? In other words, I say I want 500 PSI in the tank when I surface assuming I am going up with a buddy with an elevated breathing rate?

vondo:
Doug,

I'm thinking of a VT3 or similar to replace my VEO 200. Do any of your computers (or any others) do a pseudo-rock bottom calculation? In other words, I say I want 500 PSI in the tank when I surface assuming I am going up with a buddy with an elevated breathing rate?

Hi Vondo,

Unless I'm not understanding your question correctly, the explanation given above describes your situation. All of our air integrated computers including the VT3 provide a very accurate real-time calculation of air time remaining, with the ability to set your preferred end gas psi. Let me know if I'm missing something.

It sounds to me like they calculate the remaining bottom time based on what is necessary to get *me* to the surface with the desired # of PSI, not to get me *and* my buddy breathing off my octo to the surface with that PSI.

It sounds like it also doesn't take into account that if we are sharing air one or both of us is probably somewhat freaked and breathing faster than I was when the dive was going great.

Back
Top Bottom