[rant] DIR vs. DID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7 once bubbled...
Honestly, the biggest turn-off to me is the way that it's approached from the very top of the ladder.

I assume you are talking about GI3 here but if you talk to the GUE folks (In my opinion the real top of the ladder) they don't come across in quite the same way.

I haven't been diving nearly as long as most all the divers that frequent this forum. Almost a year and loving every minute of it. I started with a lot of unknowns about gear and relied on the advice of the LDS about what to buy and use.
I bought standard/usual equipment sold by the "experts" and thought I was doing a good thing.
After diving the gear a few times and having some minor trouble with trim and buoyancy my attention turned to this board for information and more opinion.

There are those that resort to rhetoric that may not be the most productive means of spreading the message. The DIR acronym is probably an unfortunate use of words and does imply that others are "doing it some other way but right".

HOWEVER, the equipment is awesome and does what the proponents say it does. Unlike some of the other claims that equiment manfactures use to describe their gear.

I agree that some of the gear is expensive, but like in everything we are exposed to: You get what you pay for!

That said, I have the BP&wing, long hose and bungeed octo. I am enjoying the difference it has made in my trim and buoyancy control and am looking forward to learning more about diving in the future. I have not taken the DIRF class (local event got canceled) but I am looking forward to that as well. Albeit with a bit of apprehension of the unknown.

Try it, you may like it. If not, then hey, no sweat I wouldn't take it personal.
YMMV

Rachel,

If you have specific questions about the system I think our Uncle Pug is one person to ask. He isn't imune to being wrong but he's knowledgeable about the system and I believe honest. There are others but he is the first ones that comes to mind. If I had a DIR question he is one of 2 or three I would ask.

Some of the others cause the following thoughts to come to mind...

DIR, GUE or who ever we can use as a pronoun, I think intends to be "Elite". I am of the opinion that not only does it attract some who are truely elite and some that could be but it also is very attractive to some who just need to feel and act elite without earning it. I think it is just the right atmosphere for kooks. It gives them everything. It provides all the answers, someone to follow and idolize, guidence and reassurance. For those who like to feel persecuted or victemized it gives them that also. We have had divers complaing about the persecution a week after they were assimilated.

That concludes todays lesson in psychology according to Mike.

ckharlan66 once bubbled...

I should have said I am not. Others might be.

I am happy to share why I like my equipment but anyone is free to disagree and I won't argue with them.....well I will argue with JBD but he is the only one. :D

I should also state that I am no where near qualified to spout about DIR but I do like the system and I am constantly trying to learn more about it.

Chad

And besides that...I think it's been a while since you told a good joke!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
DIR, GUE or who ever we can use as a pronoun, I think intends to be "Elite".

snip accurate assessment

That concludes todays lesson in psychology according to Mike.
:wink:

Eat the chicken but spit out the bones.

DIR
what is good about it.
the main thing i see good about the whole concept is the package deal you get.
you can jump into tech diving with no knowledge about it at all, no research required, no trail and error, no experience neccessary.

you just do as your told, wear what your told, and live the life as required. by doing this you will survive.

so this means the training must be driven home do it my way or else your not doing it right

I truely mean this is a good way to get people into the style of diving early on with as few as just a couple of dives....in the old days you would see tech divers with no fewer than a 1000 dives under their belt before doing truely tech diving, not just wearing the gear of a tech diver.

now new tech divers have someone to follow into the abyss and without really doing any research know they will come back to dive another day.

AquaTec,

Why isn't your last star colored all the way in?

And besides that...I think it's been a while since you told a good joke!

I don't tell good jokes....I am a good joke. :D

Chad

AquaTec,

Why isn't your last star colored all the way in?
He was one of those two week wonders that made regulator with less than 500 posts...

:wink: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom